Saturday, March 10, 2007

Sense of humour required!

As far as I'm concerned there are only two prerequisites to being a mom; a well-developed sense of humour and a strong self-esteem. This week I realised I am probably a little lacking on both counts.

My eldest daughter Rox and I were shopping on Wednesday when we bumped into a casual acquintance (we will call her "A" to protect her dignity), we had a little chat with "A" and then continued with our shopping. Later on, as we were walking to the car, I mentioned to Rox that I thought "A" was a really nice person, a "my kind of person". Rox said, "Yes, I can understand why you like her, you are both lazy, (quick recovery here on registering my shocked expression!), um, not, er, lazy, um just not sporty kind of people".........................Ouch!

That afternoon I was driving in the car with my younger daughter, Paula, and happened to mention the above incident to her. Instead of the sympathetic response I was hoping for (Note to self: never look to daughters for sympathy), Paula said "I can't understand why she said 'lazy' - I could have understood if she'd said something like 'boring' - you and "A" are both boring kind of people, not really lazy."........................... double ouch!! (On being questioned as to why she finds me boring, I was told that "it's not in an ugly way, it's just cause you don't do mountain biking and stuff". It's true - I don't do mountain biking, but I do, do stuff, honest, I DO!!)

Well - at least I know they'll be honest if I ask "Does my butt look big in these jeans?"

No comments:

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...