Saturday, May 12, 2007

Going green

As I mentioned in a previous post, spurred on by my environmentally conscious 11 year old daughter, one of my New Years resolutions was to recycle; well this has gradually transformed into a mission to “go green”. It’s going so well at the moment that I thought it was time I blogged on our progress and reviewed some of the products we have tested, just in case any of you might want to give them a try. If you do, click on the “Organics Online” banner to the right – it will take you directly to the online store.

Since January, Paula and I have been steadily working at making our home more “green”. I’ve discovered that it’s not one of those things that you can do overnight and we still have a long way to go, but we are making progress. Unfortunately, I don’t think I will ever manage to be one of those fully, 100% organic people – there are some “nasties” that I just can’t imagine living without. (Much to the relief of Roxy, who for some bizarre reason had visions of Paula and me becoming hippies with underarm hair….eeuw!)

We are slowly but surely replacing our “un-environmentally friendly” products with environmentally friendly ones. Most of the organic products are a little more costly, but I find that you do use quite a lot less of the product and quite honestly I am happy to pay a little more for a quality product that is kind to the environment, to the animals and to us.

So far I have replaced most of our household cleaning products with organic ones. It has been so much easier than I thought. Most of the “green goodies” I am using were bought on-line at Organics Online – they offer a superb service and my products arrived quickly and safely. I am using Enchantrix laundry gel and fabric softener and find it as good as, perhaps even better than, the products I was previously using. Paula gets eczema and there was only ever one brand of washing powder I could use in the past that didn’t cause her to have a flare up – her skin if fine with the Enchantrix products. I have also replaced our general purpose household cleaner (aka Handy Andy) and our loo cleaner with the Enchantrix ones and they work very well too.

As far as toiletries go, I am using the Enchantrix shampoo, conditioner, face cream and body lotion. I absolutely love them, the shampoo smells particularly gorgeous! (They are not paying me to say this I promise!!) I tried the Enchantrix deodorant and I seriously didn’t like it, so I am still on the lookout for a good organic deo and I can’t say I was mad about their liquid hand soap either. I am using the Esse face wash and it doesn’t come cheap, but I really love it.

We have also decided to start an organic vegetable patch. We’ve started very small, using the instructions for a "door size” veggie garden that I found here. Today we planted our first seeds and a couple of seedlings. I am completely new to this organic gardening thing and am not known for my gardening skills at the best of times, so I’m holding thumbs that, with me involved, we don’t have total crop failure!! Will keep you posted.

And that’s about as far as we have gone so far. It’s really been fun (especially the gardening part!) and not as big a mission as I thought it would be. Best of all, I get a kind of warm fuzzy when I look around me and think I’m doing my bit for the environment. I rather like being green.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I think that it is fantastic that you are going green or playing your part. We would love to hear your story http://www.risingchild.com/group/viewgroup/66-Going+GREEN
Most people do not know enough about 'being green' so we hope to educate people!

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...