Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hair today, gone tomorrow

There is a teenage girl in our neighbourhood with a beautiful head of hair. Her hair is thick, shiny and healthy looking. Every time I see that hair my heart feels so glad.

The girl in question is T. Over a period of roughly a year in 2005/2006, T lost nearly all of her hair through alopecia. Last year she came and homeschooled with Rox. It was the year she would have started high school and to start at a new school, where they wear a uniform, being the only girl wearing a bandana would have been very difficult for her. Rox and I were only too happy to have her in our “school” because T is a sweetie pie. Through being with T every day Rox and I learnt so much, I’d like to share a little of what we learnt with you.

We learnt about alopecia, a condition about which we knew very little. Alopecia is an autoimmune disease in which the body attacks its own hair follicles. There is a very good description of the disease and its cause here

We learnt that our society puts way too much emphasis on outward appearance. We’ve always known this to a degree, but going through this experience with T brought it home to us in such a vivid way. T is a beautiful girl, both outwardly and inwardly. As her alopecia progressed, if anything, she grew inwardly more beautiful and yet she was subject to stares from the general public and going out became very difficult for her.

We learnt about faith. T is a devout Christian and throughout her ordeal she believed that God was doing this to her for a reason and that in His time she would be cured. We were and still are, humbled by her faith.

We learnt to look for the positive in the negative. T was unfailingly glad that through her experience others were learning about hair loss. She also made her bandanas and baseball caps a fashion statement!

We learnt that you don’t have to be an adult to be wise. T showed wisdom and courage way beyond her years during this time.

I will obviously never be glad that this happened to T, but I am glad for the lessons my daughters and I and even T herself, learnt through her experience. And I am SO glad that she sports a beautiful head of hair today.

This post is my contribution for this weeks Sunday Scribblings

15 comments:

Redness said...

Beautiful girls who'll become wise women, you're an inspiration! Congratuulations and Thank You!

Rob Kistner said...

Wonderful post Gill... inspiring!

gautami said...

Thinking post!

Tammy said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful spirit.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Very interesting post, I know alopecia can be very upsetting, its good to know that you can learn from the experience and great that T's hair has now grown back.

Kerstin said...

Wonderful take on the subject, thoughful and well written!

I guess this also shows that we can cope with a lot more than we sometimes think. And learn things about ourselves that otherwise perhaps we wouldn't have.

Kamsin said...

Wow, makes worrying about a "bad hair day" seem trivial. Praise God showed such strength through her trial.

Jennifer said...

That's a beautiful outlook on life! Congrats to T! Not just on the beautiful head of hair but on her beautiful heart!

Herb Urban said...

Very inspiring story.

Patois said...

Your take-ways and T's spirit leave me moved to tears. A beautiful post about someone who is clearly a beautiful young woman.

Fifi said...

That is so interesting!
When I was in std 7(gr 9) I lost a huge amount of hair. The doctors were perturbed and did not know what it was. They did blood tests and said my white blood count was very low.
I got so bald they were considering ordering me a wig!One morning my Mom prayed for me and from that day my hair stopped falling out!To this day I never knew what it might have been..... thanks to you it all makes sense now. At the time I was going through tremendous peer pressure.... so much so I ended up in bed for a whole month!

I am so glad that T is well again...... what a triumphant story!

sognatrice said...

Wow. What an awesome story for all of you involved. Thanks so much for sharing!

baby~amore' said...

how inspiring and what a woman of God. Just because we age doesn't mean we get wisdom but I am still hoping .

Mrs Coetser said...

Thanks for sharing.

Regina said...

What an awesome young lady!

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...