Monday, July 02, 2007

Prawn Curry

I have decided to close my food blog down and will in future post my recipes here instead. I plan to gradually move the recipes I have posted on my food blog over to this blog. Starting with this recipe, which we enjoyed tonight - yum!

I have one of those truly amazing creatures in my home ...... a husband who loves to cook! Cooking comes very naturally to Grant and he does it with great enthusiasm, when the mood takes him. Unlike me, he doesn't worry about the mess he's making, or how many dishes there are going to be to wash and as for little matters such as measuring out ingredients, that doesn't concern him at all. He prefers not to use a recipe and cooks almost entirely according to taste.

In typical Grant fashion, when making Prawn Curry he tosses in "a little bit of this and a little bit of that" and produces a pot of the most gorgeous, fragrant curry. What follows is a rough outline of his recipe, measurements are approximate!

PRAWN CURRY
1 kg peeled prawns
2 large onions, chopped
4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 tin whole peeled tomatoes
2 1/2 Tbl fish masala (available at most spice shops)
1 tsp Thai red curry paste
1 heaped tsp of crushed garlic and ginger mix
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 Tbl sugar
sprinkle of mixed spice (the kind you would use in a fruit cake)
salt to taste
125 ml fresh cream
1 heaped tsp flour

In a large saucepan, fry onions until translucent, add fish masala, garlic and ginger and garlic mix, fry together until onions are nicely browned. Add fresh and tinned tomatoes, sugar, mixed spice and curry paste, mix well and leave to simmer gently. Boil the prawns in salted water for between 5-10 mins - until they are no longer too "chewy". Add prawns to the tomato gravy and simmer for about 1/2 hour. Thicken sauce with a paste made with flour and water. Just before serving add the fresh cream and stir through.

Serve over rice. Garnish with fresh coriander if desired.

No comments:

Camino Portuguese (Coastal Route)

We are planning another Camino walking holiday!  I couldn't be more excited.  The plan is that next year, in June, Grant, Paula and I wi...