Saturday, August 04, 2007

Decisions

decisions
All of life boils down to decisions. Think about it!

We choose to play, or not. We choose to be educated, or not. We choose to work, or not. We choose to love, or not…..

It’s all about choices. If we go right back to basics, success in life depends very much on our ability to make a good decision. It’s a scary, but true, fact that the course of a life can be changed by a simple decision.

So how do we go about making these decisions? Some people consult with a Higher Power, they pray. Others leave it all to the flip of a coin. Some go with “gut instinct”. When I am faced with a really big, life changing type of decision I have been known to take no chances and rely on all three of the above!

What if we make a wrong decision? I’ve had many, many “What was I thinking??” moments. What I have come to realise (and it’s taken me a looong time to figure this out) is that a bad decision doesn’t make me a bad person. Most mistakes can be seen as stepping-stones, or as opportunities for growth, or at the very least, they can be filed away as lessons learnt.

Striving for perfection can be like chasing rainbows. I’ve given up on being so hard on myself, now I aim simply to do the best that I can with the opportunities I have.


For more scribblings on decisions visit Sunday Scribblings
Photo by Timothy Lloyd

10 comments:

Tori said...

I tend to jump with decisions sometimes, overthink others, and go with my heart in some. I have no regrets, so I guess it is working for me.

Redness said...

You're a girl after my own heart - well said, Thanks!

Jennifer said...

awww...decisions or dilemmas?? LOL good post!

paris parfait said...

Wise words! And we've all had those "what was I thinking" moments - which usually meant that a wonderful opportunity was just about to knock!

paris parfait said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tammy said...

Well said and I wholeheartedly agree! I learn from every mistake and know that for every decision there will be a consequence. Hopefully a good one. :)

Annie said...

this sunday prompt seems to have made a lot of us do a little thinking. "what was i thinking" i've had a few of those also. we're not perfect, are we? good post.

Patois said...

"Striving for perfection can be like chasing rainbows" is true. Good that you've come to do all that anyone can ask -- the best you can. I enjoyed reading your thoughtful post.

ian russell said...

mistakes are perfectly acceptable. I wish I could feel that truth more often. good post, Gill.

gautami tripathy said...

How do we get ahead in life if we do ot learn from our mistakes? Think about it.

Dealing with grief

I just read this amazing blog post by a mom who recently lost her baby. She gives real, practical examples of what to do/say to someone wh...