Sunday, August 12, 2007

Goosebumps

I am a self-confessed coward. I am, in general, afraid of most things. I don't like heights, I don't like speed, I am not crazy about the dark, I admire the sea, but only from a distance, I fly only when I have to, I don't watch scary movies, I am terrified of guns...... Which leads me to wonder why I still live in South Africa? I will definitely have to explore that in another post one day. But the thing that scares me more than anything else in the world would have to be snakes. Which again leads me to wonder why I live in South Africa...

Snakes freak me out! About two years ago my husband got up to let the dog out late one night and encountered a snake slithering down the passage towards my daughters bedroom. He calmly shouted to me to stay in bed - big mistake - I of course needed to know exactly why he was telling me to stay in bed, got up to investigate and completely flipped my lid when I saw him cornering the snake while my eldest daughter gleefully approached with the kitchen tongs!!

But the snake incident that gives me goosebumps to this very day occured a couple of months ago. We returned home one day to find a note stuffed into our garden gate, it was from a woman who lives on our block, informing us that she had lost her python. Her huge, ugly, monstrous, reticulated python had gone AWOL! Oh my word, this is not the kind of note I ever envisioned receiving from a neighbour.


python
I walked around with goosebumps the entire weekend, imagining this enormous python leering at me from every corner. My family were in fits of laughter, watching me surreptitiously peering into the trees and examining every dark corner I came across. What I would actually have done had I come across said python, apart from losing control of my bladder, I don't really know. I never had a decent night's sleep all weekend, but by the time Monday rolled around, I determined to put the python from my mind and carry on as usual.

Until the Thursday that is, when a photograph of the python in question appeared in our local newspaper. There it was in all its glory wrapped around the body of our neighbour. It was huge, it covered her from head to foot and was curled around and around her body. I stared at it with horrified fascination and pictured it lurking somewhere in my house, creeping onto my bed in the dead of night.... Sleep did not come easily to me for a few more days!

Whether or not the python was ever found I don't know. I actually hadn't thought about it for some time. In fact I'm kind of wishing I hadn't thought about it now....

Prompted by Sunday Scribblings

Photo by KhayaL

11 comments:

Kamsin said...

Oh my! So glad I don't have any neighbours with such "exotic" pets!!

Lucy said...

ehoohoohehhh I have goosebumps just reading your story Gill! Ekkkk! It's amazing, as I read everyones clever posts I realize there are SO many goosebumpie things!
thanks for visiting me today :))

raymond pert said...

A student of mine, with my permission, brought a python to class as part of a writing assignment. She laid it out on a table in front of th room and I pet it and it was magnificent. I, too, had had misgivings about snakes, but somehow they vanished in the presence of this snake in my classroom.

Rob Kistner said...

Oh damn -- the photo alone gave me goosebumps... snakes and me don't mix!

tricia stirling said...

this is great! funny and well-written. the end made me giggle.

Paul said...

Well, I can't help wondering if this python is also having goosebumps at the thought of meeting you and other humans.

Redness said...

Yikes - I forgot to add lots of yours to my list - I'm with you goosebumps and all!

Patois said...

I hate snakes. Hate them. I don't care how good they are. Ick, ick, ick.

Tori said...

I held a baby python this year and still get goosebumps when I think about it!

gautami tripathy said...

I don't hate snakes but something like that is very scary..

Hope said...

I like snakes but, I know I couldn't take them wandering about my house uninvited!

Dealing with grief

I just read this amazing blog post by a mom who recently lost her baby. She gives real, practical examples of what to do/say to someone wh...