Saturday, August 25, 2007

I get that sinking feeling.......

If you look at the picture below you will see two gorgeous little girls spending a day with my family. It isn’t immediately obvious that these little girls are living with a death sentence, but unfortunately they are….. these two little girls are orphans who are both infected with HIV.



What saddens me even more is that they are among the lucky ones; they live in Rehoboth Children’s Village, where they are well fed, clothed, housed in comfortable homes and given the medication they need. There are thousands of children in South Africa who are not as fortunate.

The incidence of households being run by children as young as 10 years of age has increased dramatically in the last few years, due to the enormous number of adults dying as a result of AIDS. So too has the incidence of very young girls, even babies, being raped as a result of the myth that sex with a virgin cures AIDS.

I live in the province in South Africa with the highest incidence of HIV infection among pregnant woman. In 2006 an alarming 39.1% of expectant mothers attending antenatal clinics, in the area where I live, tested positive for HIV, that gives me a sinking feeling.

Visit Sunday Scribblings for more takes on this prompt

11 comments:

Hope said...

Wish there was a way to cure all the worlds ills. Suffering saddens me.

gautami tripathy said...

Reading this gave me a sinking feeling. We need to find a cure and make people more aware. But that is least of the worries for the powers that are.

India is catching up in the HIV scene. That too horrifies me.

Liza's Eyeview said...

yeah... that gives me a sinking feeling too...

Shelby said...

oh my goodness. that does give one a sinking feeling.

forgetfulone said...

That is so sad. What a real picture of what that sinking feeling looks like.

Redness said...

Ohhh that is so woeful! You're so generous in sharing your heart and home!

JHS. said...

I have read and heard so much about the situation in Africa. It truly does bring a sinking feeling because the problems seem insurmountable which means that we all have to do our part. Bless you for doing yours.

Fifi said...

I posted on the raping of virgins a while back! If any subject gets me "woes", .... it is this! The ignorance that surounds us (involving the majority) is frightening, and very sad! They need to be better educated, by those who are educated!(breath 2..3..4..)
What a great thing you guys are doing. I admire you and your family..... you're acting, not just talking!
Love Fifi

Tori said...

Thank you for bringing the subject to much needed light. It needs to be in the forefront of everyones attention all of the time.

tumblewords said...

So much suffering. It does cause a sinking feeling when so little is done - thank you for getting the message out in such a lovely way.

Tammy said...

That is horrible Gill. Thank you for bringing this back to the forefront of our mind's. I'm afraid too many have forgotten, including me, that it's still an epidemic.

Camino Portuguese (Coastal Route)

We are planning another Camino walking holiday!  I couldn't be more excited.  The plan is that next year, in June, Grant, Paula and I wi...