Thursday, August 30, 2007

Milk Tart

Milk Tart is a traditional South African baked milk custard tart, sprinkled with cinnamon. Very, very delicious.

MILK TART

Pastry:
2 cups flour
pinch of salt
2t baking powder
1 egg
½ cup sugar
½ cup butter

Filling:
4 cups milk
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 ½ Tbl flour
2 ½ Tbl cornflour
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 Tbl butter
cinnamon

Pastry: Cream butter and sugar and add eggs then sieve in dry ingredients. Mix until a firm dough forms. Refrigerate for a while (to prevent pastry shrinking when baked). Line 2 pie dishes with the dough. I find that I don't use all the dough, you want the pastry to be quite thin, so I press it into the pie dish very thinly as it rises a little when it bakes. Bake in oven at 200ÂșC for approx 12mins (watch it as it can brown very quickly!).

Filling: Put milk and butter in a saucepan and begin heating gently. Mix the rest of the ingredients to a smooth paste and add to milk, stir continuously until mixture comes to the boil and thickens. Pour into the pie shells and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Makes 2 milk tarts.

I prefer to make milk tart when the weather is cool as I don't like to keep my milk tart in the refrigerator - I find it softens the pastry.

No comments:

Camino Portuguese (Coastal Route)

We are planning another Camino walking holiday!  I couldn't be more excited.  The plan is that next year, in June, Grant, Paula and I wi...