Sunday, September 16, 2007

The early bird catches the worm


What is it about weekends that cause me to wake up at the crack of dawn? On any given weekday I hit the snooze button on my alarm clock at least twice, but on a weekend I am wide awake at 6:15am, no alarm required. It is so frustrating! I lie in bed trying to convince myself that I really want to doze for just a few more minutes, but in reality I know that sleep is over and I might as well get up and greet the day.

In some ways I love those stolen minutes on weekend mornings. I usually get up and spend some time on the stationary bike and then I make myself a cup of herbal tea and sit at the computer to read my feeds and fiddle around with my blog. The house is quiet and those moments are probably the only moments in the week that I am entirely alone with my thoughts, free to do what I want to do, with no other claims on my time. Bliss.
Photo by Bhubezi-Jake

4 comments:

Kerstin said...

This is just the weirdest thing, isn't it? Being a night owl rather than a morning person, I used to be able to sleep in late at the weekends. However, over recent years exactly the same things keeps happening to me, too, on work mornings I am like comatosed and hitting the snooze button at least twice, while on weekends I wake up BEFORE the normal alarm time and cannot go back to sleep. Most times, though, I force myself to, but occasionally I also get up because I remember how beautiful the stillness and dawn of the early morning our can be.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

I think it's something with the fact that you have the day to do the things you want to do instead of going to work. I love mornings but sometimes, yes, it would be nice to sleep in - but I resort to naps to make it up.

Wenda said...

I'm a sleepy head no matter what day of the week and envy your early weekend mornings. Sounds blissful.

Melanie said...

I can't sleep in either, but then I have an 11 month old to wake me up! But really- I think it's hard to sleep in because we usually get up at the same time everyday.

Milk Kefir

Lately I've been been absent from my blog - but I've been having a lot of fun doing different things, things like making milk kefir!...