Thursday, October 11, 2007

Sometime you just know it's not your lucky day...

At the moment my husband, Grant, is having a spectacular run of bad luck and for his sake I am hoping that it is now over!

On Monday I got a phone call from him while he was driving home from work – his engine had just more or less blown up! Bits of it initially shot out the back of his car, oil spewed out all over the road, the car did some alarming bucking and jumping, at which point the vehicle simply died. Now what I know about cars and engines is dangerous, but even I could figure out that this was not good! He was on an exceedingly busy stretch of the freeway, between Durban and Port Shepstone and the rain was bucketing down. Lovely! After a harrowing couple of hours the vehicle was towed to Port Shepstone and his 1 ½ hour trip home was completed in roughly 3 hours – I’m not complaining, at least he made it home in one piece!

Having noticed that we were having rather a rough afternoon, my Dad invited us out to supper. We were all having a lovely, relaxed meal, when I noticed Grant had a weird expression on his face; moments later he removed a large piece of glass from his mouth!! It had been lurking in his enchilada! The poor man….

Just before hopping into bed and putting the lights out on a spectacularly blue Monday, Grant loving laid out his cycling gear and set his alarm for 5am, saying that he couldn’t wait to hop on his bike in the morning and cycle away the day’s stresses. Early on Tuesday I could hear him scuffling around with the distinctive sound of his cleats (clip-in cycling shoes, to those not blessed with MTB maniacs in the family!) on the tiled floors. I opened a groggy eye and looked over at my bedside clock and it said 6:10am. I thought that it was rather strange that Grant was home so early, he normally gets back from his rides at about 6:30am. He walked into the bedroom en-route to the bathroom and I asked him what he was doing, he told me not to be so personal, he was on his way to the loo! I then asked why he was home so early and he said that he hadn’t left yet. Now that got me thinking! I pointed out that he was going to have a hang of a short ride as his lift to Durban was picking him up at 7am……at which point the poor man realised that it was in fact an hour later than he thought – he had set his alarm for 6am instead of 5am. There's just not much you can say to a guy when he's in that kind of pain....

2 comments:

Carrie! :o) said...

Oh no! Glass in his dinner. OUCH!!!!! Hope he's okay. I can't even imagine!! I sure hope next week is better!

Wayfarer Scientista said...

I can totally relate....I had that kind of Monday...and at the end of it I hoped if I just went to bed it would all go away. Poor guy.

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...