Sunday, November 11, 2007

10 Life Lessons

You know the old adage, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"? Well I am trying to disprove that theory. I have decided that some of my old, deeply ingrained, notions need to be shaken up a little, so I present you with 10 “life lessons” I am trying to teach myself:

1. Be true to myself. For me this one is really important and probably the most difficult, as I am so inclined to be a “people pleaser

2. Don’t take life or myself too seriously. I can be very, very seriaaas ;-)

3. Have faith in my ability to do things my way.

4. Pamper myself. If you don’t take good care of yourself, no-one else is going to. I am trying to do at least one thing I really enjoy doing every day.

5. Take life one day at a time – when things get tough take it one hour at a time if necessary!

6. Seize the day. This saying has become so clich├ęd, but since the death of my brother, I have woken up to the fact that we really, truly should make the most of each day that we are given.

7. Bad things happen, get over it. I have the kind of personality that clings to old hurts. I kid you not, there are grievances that I have carried since I was 7 years old that I will still take out and polish every now and then unless I get a grip on myself – so this one is very much a work in progress!

8. Sometimes I have to grit my teeth and dive right in. I am not talking about swimming here, no, no, no, it’s relationships that I am wrestling with! I don’t believe that any relationship is going to flourish without some vulnerability and some work from both parties – for me the vulnerability part is the issue, I have some deep-seated hang-ups about being hurt and abandoned and I have a seriously hard time opening up.

9. No pain, no gain. Be it work, gardening, housekeeping, exercising, whatever

10. Even the best laid plans sometimes fall apart and it is not the end of the world, relax and enjoy the ride.

3 comments:

Bohemian Mom said...

Oh this is a really good list!
I needed to see this, especially number 10.
Sometimes we just can't control the outcome of something.
I need to work on this.
And YES....Seize the day!
xo

Patois said...

Very well thought out list. I subscribe to some of them already, but I need to subscribe to more.

Jeanne said...

Good list! I'm also one to rememebr a grievance - have to work on letting go!! And I also struggle with making time for myself - everyone else's demands always seem to take precedence over my own!

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...