Saturday, November 03, 2007

5 people I would love to sit and chat with...

Top of my list would be Nelson Mandela. I would love to ask him how he managed to walk out of prison the gracious man that he is. I would also like to know how he feels about the problem of crime in this country, I’d ask if he is as worried about the situation as we are and whether he has any ideas for combating it. I wonder what advice he would give the current leaders of South Africa?

Prince Harry. I’d like to know how he feels about living in the shadow of his brother. I’d also love to chat with him about his mother and I’d like to find out how he honestly, truly feels about Camilla. He doesn’t seem to care too much about behaving really badly in front of the paparazzi – I’d ask him about that, is it a deliberate sort of snub at people - a “you see, I don’t care what you think” attitude, or does he truly not care what people think.

Johnny Depp. Okay, the guy just does something for me, so this would simply be an excuse to sit and look at him, but I’m sure I’d think of something to say…eventually! I’d definitely ask him to come in character as Captain Jack – although he was gorgeous in “Chocolat” too – aaah decisions, decisions... But seriously, I really admire the way that he lives a seemingly normal life in France, appears to be a good father to his children and doesn’t let the Hollywood hoopla get him down.

Britney Spears. I would love to know why she has gone into this downward spiral of self-destruction. I find it so sad that a talented young girl, with the resources to do so much good has become this wreck. Those poor little boys! I’d ask her what prompted the freefall and whether she plans to turn her life around anytime soon.

A homeless person. This is not meant to be in any way patronising. When I see a homeless person, I often wonder what happened to bring them to this place in their life, I wonder how they ended up on the street? I would be so interested to hear the life stories of some of these people. I'd like to talk about solutions to the problems of homelessness, from the perspective of a homeless person.

6 comments:

baby~amore' said...

interesting choice of people Gill and questions.
Nelson Mandela would be very interesting.
My MIL has been to South Africa and has quite a few friends from there.She finds it a fascinating place.

Regina said...

Interesting choices. wish I could sit in on those conversations!

Rachelle G. said...

Love your list. I'd like to ask Prince Harry the same things. Britney, too. I always feel sad about her because I believe God gifted her with a great deal of talent. Interesting post! I may have to borrow the idea one of these days...

AnnieElf said...

Good choices all. You have an opportunity to learn, share, and teach through these selections. Nicely done.

Lucy said...

GREAT choices! may I be a fly on the wall during those chats? Depp is a hottie Gil!

parlance said...

Hi, Gill
I've come across your site through Wayfarer Scientista mentioning you.

Re your idea of chatting with a homeless person, do you have the newspaper The Big Issue in South Africa?
Here in Melbourne in Australia we have this paper, which is sold on the streets by homeless people. It always includes an article about one homeless person each issue. Sometimes the person is re-inventing their life through selling The Big Issue. I have found it an absolute eye-opener to discover homeless people are just like me - it's only that their life has taken an unexpected turn.

Dealing with grief

I just read this amazing blog post by a mom who recently lost her baby. She gives real, practical examples of what to do/say to someone wh...