Thursday, November 08, 2007

I am sad today


I grew up in a small town, called Greytown, in the Kwa-Zulu Natal Midlands. There is a strong German community in the area, which added something special to my childhood.

Near to the town I grew up in, is a lovely country hotel called the Wartburger Hof. It is a wonderful, small, traditionally German hotel. We frequently had Sunday lunches at this hotel and many family events, special birthdays and the like, were celebrated over lunch at the hotel. In Winter you would be greeted at the door with a glass of gluhwein and the warmth of a roaring log fire. In Summer we would sit outside on the verandah and my daughters would be entertained by the ducks on the duck pond. The proprietor of this hotel was a gracious gentleman, called Siggy and he and his wife, Ingrid, cared for the guests of the hotel in a quiet, unflappable and friendly way.

Last night, Siggy and Ingrid were gunned down inside their hotel. I just cannot get my head around the fact that these two gentle people were murdered in cold blood, in that beautiful hotel, that holds so many special memories for me. When will this spiral of violent crime in the country that I love ever end and how many more innocent people must die before it does?

Today I cry over what is happening in my beautiful country...

11 comments:

Jeanne said...

Oh Gill, I'm so sorry. How ghastly. It just seems right now that that there is no way of holding back this tide of violence. Respect for human life has become an outmoded concept and it's terribly sad to see. I wish you strength in dealing with this tragedy and hope your happy memories aren't sullied by it.

Patois said...

That is terrible. I'm so sorry you're experiencing this up close. I would be sorry if it were happening far away as well. How very difficult it all is. I have no words of proper comfort.

Hsien Lei said...

What a horrible thing to have happened, Gill. *hugs*

sognatrice said...

Just shaking my head at more senseless acts of violence. Jeanne took the words out of my mouth regarding the lack of respect for human life. I just don't get it, and goodness, I hope I never do.

I'm so sorry to hear of what happened to Siggy and Ingrid, but their spirit must have touched me this morning because I made sauerkraut for the first time in four years, completely on a whim. But it wasn't, as it turns out.

May they rest in peace.

Wendy said...

Senseless and tragic. My heart goes out to Siggy, Ingrid, their family, you and yours, and your country. It's sad to see the ongoing downward spiral this world is in.

Regina said...

So sorry Gill. I too cry with you because the state of the world is a mess. Senseless killings, crimes, war, famine, and the list goes on. Just a hour of CNN can cause tears.
I know most of this greives the very heart of the Father...
Blessings.

Fee said...

I'm so sorry Gill. I try too remain hopeful for our beautiful country, but stories like these bring the reality of the situation back to mind!
Love Fee

Mimi Lenox said...

So tragic. I am truly sorry.

Natalie said...

That's devastating! I am sorry there is such violence in your country! :(

Jen said...

Gill, I am so sorry to hear about Siggy and Ingrid. I will never understand why people think they have to do things like that. Hugs & Prayers to you and their friends and family.

Redness said...

Ohhh Gill, I am so sorry to hear of this tragedy and how deeply sad you must be! Please be strong, know that you are much loved and in my thoughts. xxx

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...