Sunday, November 04, 2007

It's all about money...

I thought long and hard about posting on the Sunday Scribblings prompt "money" - I had the strong suspicion that whatever I posted was going to turn into a "rant" and I don't particularly like "ranting" on my blog..... but the post would keep on forming itself in my head and eventually I felt that I may as well sit down and post it!


Obviously you find poverty wherever you go, and I am sure there are places where the contrast between abject poverty and wealth is as noticeable as it is here, so I am not trying to imply that the situation in my little corner of the globe is in any way unique, I'm simply speaking from my own personal viewpoint.


In South Africa, the differences between the "haves" and the "have nots" is glaringly obvious. You only have to drive 5-10kms down the road from my house and you will find people living in shacks, with no running water or electricity. In this country you have thousands of child-led households, siblings raising siblings, after all the adults in the family have succumbed to AIDS. Poverty is rife.


And yet, on the flip side of the coin, you find many, many millionaires and a good couple of billionaires living here too. My feeling is that these extremely wealthy people could be doing a whole lot more to help those who have nothing? I am not some closet "commie". I enjoy my creature comforts as much as the next person and I honestly believe that if you work hard for your money, then by all means you should enjoy spending it. What gets my goat are those really obscenely wealthy people who have got more money than they know what to do with and way more money than sense by the look of things.


I know that there are thousands of impoverished people who do nothing to help themselves. I get very bugged by the enormous number of teenagers (and adults for that matter) who fall pregnant when they should (and do!) know better and allow themselves to become another HIV statistic through sheer stupidity. But what about those people who didn't ask to be in the situation they are in? What about those children who are born in those shacks, who have no way of clawing their way out of their situations because they know no better?


I am sure the various "aid organisations" are trying their best (although I personally wonder how much money gets lost in the system and how much actually reaches those in need), but it is blindingly obvious that not enough is being done.


Quite frankly, I think it is too easy for the money-loaded wealthy to throw a couple of thousand at one or other aid organisation to ease their consciences - what they should be doing is getting their hands dirty and actually doing something positive in a more practical way. If every person who had a little extra that they could share would find one needy child to help, on a more personal level, they could profoundly change the course of that child's life. It's such a shame that more of them don't do it!


Okay, I will get down off my soap box at this point, I feel a whole lot better now LOL!


11 comments:

sognatrice said...

I couldn't agree with you more on all of this.

Btw, you might want to go back over to Sunday Scribblings--your link right now isn't to this post, but to the Sunday Scribblings page itself. Makes it more difficult for people to find you!

Gill said...

Thanks Sognatrice - don't know what I was thinking, linking to the wrong page LOL!

Regina said...

I totally agree! Money is wasted on the rich, while the poor just get poorer.
Blessings!

Crafty Green Poet said...

You're very right, I think though that having a lot of money really enables some people to live in a world where they don't know what's going on outside their gates.

Jo said...

Oh you are so on the money here I hate obscene wealth. I am a bit of a commie at heart GRIN and I think there should be a wealth ceiling, after which everything is ploughed back into the areas of the community where it is most needed.

Fifi said...

Hi Gill
I know the soap box your on! It's a soup box us S.Africans all want to speak from! Unfortunately our voices are not being heard! It's so sad! Especially for those who need to be heard!
Great post!
Love Fifi

gautami tripathy said...

In India the disparity between the rich and the poor is too much!

baby~amore' said...

I can't imagine living with this poverty. A well written , thoughtful post.I hope in our lifestime we see an end to Child poverty.

UL said...

I love your post, and whole heartedly agree...thanks for sharing.

Linda said...

Thought provoking post!!! I think if we knew how much money was being lost in the system it would make us even more mad!!! The gap between the rich and poor is huge here in the US. There's really not a middle any more.

I recently heard a new term, "a poor millionaire" meaning someone who has less than $10 million. I feel so sorry for these people. LOL

Marsha said...

Gill, I have strong feelings on this subject too, similar to yours. It's very hard for me to find the words to respond intelligently as I am not focused enough at the moment to do so. I do think it is a sin to have so much more than what you could ever use and not use it for good. I will think about this one for awhile and either reply or enter my own post on the subject. Thank you for the provoking me (and others) to thought.

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...