Sunday, January 20, 2008

Feeling flabby...

I did a quiz recently to see whether, like Bridget Jones, I am destined to always be a little (sometimes a lot) overweight - the results weren’t at all surprising:


You Are Destined to Struggle With Your Weight

Like most people, you find it a little difficult to stay at at weight you're comfortable with.
If you change a few habits and make food less important, you may find the struggle hardly exists anymore.



I really do want to lose some weight. Now it’s not an enormous amount of weight I'm talking about here, I’m not talking 20 or 30kgs. I would be 100% happy if I could lose 8kgs – that would bring me to a weight that I would be quite happy to stay at for the rest of my life. I wouldn’t be reed thin, but I wouldn’t be fat either. I am realistic enough to know that I will never again fit into the jeans I wore as a teenager and I am comfortable with that!

If I could lose 8kgs my BMI would be comfortably within the normal range. You can measure your BMI on a nifty little gadget I found at this website. Although the BMI scale has limitations (muscle being heavier than fat, for muscular people it is often not accurate), as I am not at all very muscular, for me it is a pretty realistic guage of the state of my plumpness.

You may remember that I went on a diet in July 2007, which I posted about here. As diets go, that was a good one. It was a gluten-free diet and I am really working hard at going off wheat, for a variety of reasons, so this diet makes a lot of sense to me.

The thing I have come to accept though is that I don’t need to simply go on a diet, I need to change my lifestyle. I am inclined to be sedentary by nature, I am really bad when it comes to snacking and I am a comfort eater of note.

So I decided I had to come up with a plan and this is it - in the interests of embarking on a healthier lifestyle, I am committing myself to the following:

I will eat fruit and veggies when I have the urge to nibble.

I am going to stick to only 3 little squares of dark chocolate a day (excuse me while I throw myself on my bed and sob!)

I am going to get back to drinking 2 litres of water a day.

I am going to get on that exercise bike at least 4 times a week.

I am going to exclude wheat from my diet (yay, Cherie!!)


Whether or not I can stick to this remains to be seen, but I am going to try really hard. I will keep you posted on my progress as I go along. Anyone interested in joining me?

7 comments:

Linda said...

In November I started dieting, I prefer calling it eating differently, and going to the gym at least 3 days a week to work with weights and doing cardio. I will be here to support you. My food plan is simply making wiser choices, no white bread, limited white potatoes, and exercise.
Together we can do this!!!

Also wanted to let you know I posted my answers to the meme. It was fun.

Elween said...

ah...i am in the overweight category. but i am just proud of it. hehe :)

anyway i link from the little linky love and found your blog. have a nice day!!! :)

bleeding espresso said...

Not surprisingly, I too am destined to struggle. I knew that. I really, honestly like food that isn't good for me, so it's not much of a shock ;)

Anyway, my dogs have really helped me in my fitness goals; I walk them 4-6 times a day--only about 10-20 minutes each time, but it adds up. And my legs are certainly stronger.

Btw, did you have a bday recently? Hmm....

Wayfarer Scientista said...

Wow! Good luck with all that - that's quite a bit to start out on but I'm sure you can do it!

Mississippi Songbird said...

I enjoyed reading your blog.. Thanks for the info..

Regina said...

hey Gill,
come by and get some awards!

Simone said...

I have joined the Healthy You Challenge and I am following the advise of Martha Beck in her book 4 Day win. Started a blog just for that. So far so good. I do need to lose a lot of weight.

4 Day Win

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...