Saturday, February 02, 2008

Oh dear...

I am having an unexpected difficulty in being the mom of a teenager and a 12 year old who likes to think she's a teenager: it's not the mood swings (I have them too and mine are probably worse than theirs), or the hormones (I have them too and mine are definitely worse than theirs!), or the bad taste in music (I turn up my copy of The Divinyls' "I touch myself", loud, and that shuts them up! hee, hee). No, the problem is that I am beginning to speak like a teenager!

There is something very scary about a "mumsy" type of 40 year old who speaks like a Paris Hilton-clone! It's fine when I am speaking to my daughters themselves - they give me a patronising look that says loud and clear "she's speaking like us in an effort to bond with us". But it's a little embarrassing when I am sitting with a friend and "I'm like, whatever".....

So please people, if you see me launch into "teenager-speak" on this blog, tell me to stop it. Immediately. It's like SO not cool!

4 comments:

Regina said...

Gill, your post is hilarious!! But sadly I can not help you! I live in a house with a 14, 18, 19, 21 & 22 year olds. So you can imagine how we all sound. The sad part is sometime we all talk like the grandbaby, you know she's one!!!
I just speak slower in public so I can think about what I want to say and try to phrase it like the 41 year old I am!

Natalie said...

Oh my...is that what's going to happen to me??? LOL! Hehehe...I think it's a rite of passage for mom's to go through that.

Marsha said...

Like wait until you're a grandmother and start the 'whatever' thing!

Tammy said...

This is why you deserve these awards and more. I remember losing my way with my hormonal girls. Guess what? It does get better but not by much and you will get most of the blame. LOL

So "whatever" and enjoy the ride!
HUGS

Camino Portuguese (Coastal Route)

We are planning another Camino walking holiday!  I couldn't be more excited.  The plan is that next year, in June, Grant, Paula and I wi...