Sunday, February 10, 2008

Strange days indeed

Strange things have a weird way of happening to me.....Last week I found myself driving around with a total stranger in my car, with whom I was completely unable to communicate and with no idea as to where I was going. Things like this just don't seem to happen to other people. What do I do to attract these peculiar events and I have to ask, why me?

So you're wondering how I ended up with a complete stranger in my car, who spoke a language largely foreign to me? It's quite simple really:

I arrived home from work the other day and as I pulled up at my gate and was pushing my "remote controlled gate-opening thingy" I looked in my review mirror and noticed a large stray dog in the road and the next moment a woman was tugging frantically at my passenger door. Now any self-respecting South African would immediately assume that they were being hi-jacked - for a heart-stopping moment I did too and then I looked at the complete terror on the woman's face and I pushed the button to unlock the passenger door - a split-second later she was in the car and the door was shut. Much to the very vocal disgust of my Jack Russell terrier (yes, I am one of those slightly nutty types who takes my dog to work ...and to bed ...and to the loo....but I digress)

As you may recall from my blog post about my dear old gardener, Simon; I am not too fluent in Zulu. So there I sat, with this unknown woman in my car who was letting forth a stream of highly excited Zulu and I could not make out a single word except "inja" (the Zulu word for dog) and "isitolo" (shop). I deduced from that very small amount of information that she was on her way home from the shop when the stray dog tried to attack her. In my pidgin Zulu I offered to drive her home .... she gave me a watery, bemused smile and continued with her flood of explanations. I said again, as best I could, that I would take her home and she looked vaguely pleased - progress!! I then asked her where her home was and she waved a hand in the general direction of the corner.

So we went on a little jaunt together, my new friend and I, with her jabbering the entire time in incomprehensible (to me) Zulu and my worried little dog sitting on my lap as I drove clumsily (rather reminiscent of Britney Spears and Sean Preston in the good ol' days) to an as yet unknown destination. I finally dropped her off at what I assume was her home - and she all but kissed me for my troubles.

Yet another strange interlude in my otherwise humdrum existence...

(And yet another reason why I have got to improve my Zulu language skills!)

5 comments:

Fee said...

Wow.... firstly I think you are extremeley brave to pick up anyone in your car!!!!! But...... I see your heart and I understand why......
Love Fee

Linda said...

What an adventure this was. You were brave to allow this woman in your car, but you did have your Jack Russell to protect you.

Wanted to let you know Carson is home and doing good and baby Caramia arrived Saturday as planned. All is good in North Carolina!!! Thank you so much for your prayers!!

Marsha said...

I'm sure the woman was very appreciative that you allowed her in your car. How frightening that situation was for both of you! Fee is right... you have a good heart Gill!

Regina said...

Gill1 What a blessing you are! Some things are universal, you understood her fear; you understood her need to get to safety, and mostly you understood her gratitude!
You are one in a million!

Wayfarer Scientista said...

What a fantastic story! Love it. And that was a very good deed you did.

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...