Sunday, March 30, 2008

I baked bread

I have always wanted to bake bread, but have never done so, for the simple reason that the thought of using yeast terrifies me - well it did until today. Today I baked bread and it came out beautifully, even if I say so myself! I looked for the least intimidating recipe I could find and dived right in, yeast and all ;-)

This is the recipe that I used, I found it on All recipes, it was submitted by Joanne Shew Chuk.

Country White Bread

INGREDIENTS:
2 (.25 ounce) packages active
dry yeast
2 cups warm water (110
degrees to 115 degrees)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

DIRECTIONS:
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt, eggs, oil and 3 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Divide in half and shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.

(I used instant yeast, so I just added it into the dry ingredients and then added the liquid ingredients, easy-peasy!)

3 comments:

Ashley Ladd said...

Thanks for visiting my site, Gill. Glad you enjoyed making the bread with yeast. I used to think it scary, too, and then I finally did it. I've not done it for awhile, though. The day job and writing keep me pretty busy. I'll have to try this recipe whatever week I get to take vacation and I'm not so exhausted.

Marsha said...

There's nothing better than fresh bread, still warm from the oven with butter dripping! mmmmmmm.... Gawd, I'll never start my diet if I keep coming across these food posts!

baby~amore' said...

MMM fresh bread LOL - at Marsha my problem too.
I want to bake my own bread and pizza dough I just bought yeast last week.

I didn't know bread had eggs I might try this - can you make it into rolls ?


My Little Drummer boys

Camino Portuguese (Coastal Route)

We are planning another Camino walking holiday!  I couldn't be more excited.  The plan is that next year, in June, Grant, Paula and I wi...