Thursday, May 01, 2008

A couple of read-aholics!

I can’t tell you how special it is to me that Paula is a reader. I absolutely love that we can curl up on my bed together on a rainy day, each of us immersed in a book, surfacing only to forage in the kitchen for sustenance, or to make tea. Bliss!

But what I love best is when we both read the same series of books at more or less the same time; it is such fun to re-hash the books, to laugh together at the funny bits, and get a bit teary eyed over the sad bits. (Grant and Rox, the adrenalin junkies in the family, think we are a bit “sad”, but we don’t let them bother us ;-) ) Normally, one of us will start the first book and the minute they have finished reading it, the other will start it and so we continue, right through the series.

In the last year or so we have read Janette Okes’ “Love Comes Softly” series, her “Prairie Legacy” series, her “Canadian West” series and her “Seasons of the Heart” series – you could say we enjoy Janette Oke books! We also thoroughly enjoyed Lori Wick’s “A Place called Home” books and her “English Garden” series. In December/January we started on the Harry Potter books (I have to confess that I gave up when they started getting a bit too scary for me… I think it was book 5, but Paula read on to the very end - she’s a braver soul than her mom!) We also devoured the 5 books in Rebecca Shaw’s “Barleybridge” series.

A couple of weeks ago we finished reading all of the Anne of Green Gables books. I had read them years ago and couldn’t wait to re-read them alongside my daughter. I recently discovered that this year is the 100 year anniversary of the publication of Anne of Green Gables. How I’d love for the two of us to hop on a plane and go and join in the festivities!

I think I am going to try to get my hands on all of the books in Lori Wick’s “Kensington Chronicles” and “Yellow Rose” series next. Now that Winter is settling in, I can look forward to many happy afternoons cosied up with my babe and our books.

5 comments:

Just Jen said...

Sorry I haven't been around in ages! We've been superbusy and unfortunately my blogging world was put on hold for awhile. I'm hoping it's not a pattern and I get to visit more often ;)
Love the fact you can read together! I don't have that luxury with my boys, they are into sci-fi...LOL...not my cup of tea!

Just Jen said...

Sorry I haven't been around in ages! We've been superbusy and unfortunately my blogging world was put on hold for awhile. I'm hoping it's not a pattern and I get to visit more often ;)
Love the fact you can read together! I don't have that luxury with my boys, they are into sci-fi...LOL...not my cup of tea!

Just Jen said...

Sorry I haven't been around in ages! We've been superbusy and unfortunately my blogging world was put on hold for awhile. I'm hoping it's not a pattern and I get to visit more often ;)
Love the fact you can read together! I don't have that luxury with my boys, they are into sci-fi...LOL...not my cup of tea!

Just Jen said...

I have no idea why it showed up three times, I thought it was sticking...sorry about that...LOL

Simone said...

I remember watching Anne of Green Gables loved it- when my daughter is a bit older I think I will get her the book

Camino Portuguese (Coastal Route)

We are planning another Camino walking holiday!  I couldn't be more excited.  The plan is that next year, in June, Grant, Paula and I wi...