Monday, June 02, 2008

Birthday parties suck!

So, my youngest turns 13 on Wednesday and I am overcome with grief at the thought of my last-born becoming a teenager. And then, in the middle of this angstfest I am having, she hits me with the fact that she expects a "proper" birthday party to mark this milestone......

Aaaaarggh! I am SO not into birthday parties. Please tell me that this does not make me a bad mother!

I generally manage to wheedle my way out of the whole party thing by convincing my daughters that it makes far more financial sense for me to give them the money the party would have cost me. This way they get to buy something special and I avoid the inevitable headache of organising and hosting a birthday party. I have always thought this was an absolutely inspired idea, but apparently this time it is not going to cut it!

So for the last couple of weeks we have tossed around ideas for a party suitable for ushering my babe into teenagerdom: a disco in our garage - SO NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!....... movies and a pizza - boooorrrring...... a trip to the beauty parlour for her and her bosom buddies - have you seen the prices those places charge???........ a sleepover party with DVDs - the idea of waking up to 10 or more 13 year olds kills me (does this make me a bad mother???)

So finally we came up with a plan that made everyone happy - we (I use the term loosely) are taking Paula and a few friends on an ocean safari and then for pizzas. I'm sure it will be great fun! At this time of year they should definitely see dolphins and hopefully a whale or two and it is something different and special. Fortunately I have an airtight excuse not to go with them, I get horribly sea-sick, so Dad will be on duty in my absence...... and I'll meet them afterwards at the pizza place. You gotta love it when a plan comes together!!

6 comments:

baby~amore' said...

I hope Paula has a wonderful birthday adventure -what a great creative idea.
There will be no more teenage parties in our house .. he will rather the money too I am sure.

Tamara said...

You're a smart lady. Sneaky, but smart :-)

I had every kind of party under the sun when I was a teen. My poor mother!

Fifi said...

I have found that the party issue gets harder and harder the older they get!
Wow..... you got it sorted beautifully! Well Done!

Redness said...

Ohhh Perfect solution ... just proves the wonderul mother you are! Have a restful celebratory day, don't forget cake ... sending a HUGE Happy Virthday to Paula from me ;~)WuHu !

Jeanne said...

Oh I went on an ocean safari in Plett in Febriary and it was fantastic! What a great idea, and I'm sure they will have a ball :)

Nonna said...

an Ocean safari sounds fun! I hope your daughter has a very special birthday. I'm sure it is one she will not forget! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you will drop by on a regular basis. I will add you to my blogroll if you dont mind? Have a blessed day!

Camino Portuguese (Coastal Route)

We are planning another Camino walking holiday!  I couldn't be more excited.  The plan is that next year, in June, Grant, Paula and I wi...