Friday, July 25, 2008

Ups and Downs

I've come to the conclusion that this parenting game is one of those things that you just can't get your head around, no matter how many years of practice you've had at it. It's weirdly cyclical in nature, a bit like going to the doctor; you know how for a couple of months you practically live in the doctors rooms, and then for months at a time you won't need to go to the doctor at all? Well parenting is exactly like that, there will be a lovely, calm, blissful spell and then all of a sudden, out of the blue, things will become fraught, non-stop fighting, bickering and bitching. Take a guess which stage we are at now?!

Living in my home for the last week has been like inhabiting a mine-field. One wrong word, one wrong look, one unintentional omission and all hell breaks loose. Fun, NOT! I am beginning to understand why some animals eat their off-spring...... I think I may have to have a love affair with a bottle of red wine tonight.

5 comments:

Addie said...

Sometimes I think marraige is worse then parenting ... but then again, my children are only 6 and 9 years old!!!

Lucy said...

ai ai ai! I can sure relate to this Gill!
You are so right, most of the time things are smooth sailing then All of a sudden! you are hit with the storm! I think wine sounds like just the right type of medicine to get you through the tornado! good luck!

Simone said...

I watch some parents with kids in the teens and older and I wonder what am I going to do when she gets there.

Regina said...

HaHa! I know it's not funny but sometimes laughing helps you calm down from those "other" darker thoughts!! I would say it gets better but...

Linda said...

When my daughter became a preteen, I was ready to ship her off to a foreign country until she was 35. I think all Mom's feel that way at one time or another. You're not alone.

Camino Portuguese (Coastal Route)

We are planning another Camino walking holiday!  I couldn't be more excited.  The plan is that next year, in June, Grant, Paula and I wi...