Well apart from the obvious…crappy nappies and vomit!
1. Helplessness in the face of illness or injury
2. Worry. I’m a born worrier and having kids just cranks that up a level or two. I worry about my kids a lot. I worry about their safety, I worry about their health, I worry about their futures... I worry about car accidents, drunk drivers and hi-jackings, I worry about Imps picking up a serious sport injury, I worry about the choices they make, I worry…….You get the picture?
3. Dealing with toddler tantrums and teenage hormones (and we have rather a lot of those in the mix at the moment….)
4. First day at a new school. Watching them venture off all nervous and vulnerable, it’s horrid!
5. Boy-friends! Everything about them. Nuff said!
6. Dealing with sibling fights. As the mom you are in such a precarious position in these situations – you love both of them and you don’t want to appear to be taking sides, the situation is fraught with potential pit-falls. And I manage to fall into the pit again and again....
7. Seeing them being unfairly treated – by friends, teachers, sports coaches, whoever. Stuff happens and they have to learn to deal with it, but it is so hard watching it happen. It’s also horrible to see them lose their innocence, to see them realise that life isn’t always fair or just.
8. Those “end of an era” moments – when you throw away the last nappy (diaper), the last baby bottle, when your little girl wears a bra for the first time, your daughter’s last day at school... It’s in these moments that you realise that your babe is growing up and you know that you can never steal those “baby” moments back again. It’s heart-breaking!
9. When my kids look at me with a certain, patronising look of complete incomprehension – it’s a look that loosely translates to “What are you talking about? You are SO last decade!” You have to see it….
10. Letting go. It is SO hard and SO necessary
We are planning another Camino walking holiday! I couldn't be more excited. The plan is that next year, in June, Grant, Paula and I wi...
Blogging for peace today! If you want to join in the blogblast for peace, please visit Mimi at Mimi Writes In the words made famous by John ...
Those of you who have me on facebook will know that one of my favourite bloggers, Susan (aka Whymommy) from Toddler Planet passed away rece...
How awesome must it be to be young, energetic and free to roam? ( Not that I would actually want to trade my home and family commitments....