Wednesday, August 06, 2008

10 least likeable things about being a mom:

Well apart from the obvious…crappy nappies and vomit!

1. Helplessness in the face of illness or injury

2. Worry. I’m a born worrier and having kids just cranks that up a level or two. I worry about my kids a lot. I worry about their safety, I worry about their health, I worry about their futures... I worry about car accidents, drunk drivers and hi-jackings, I worry about Imps picking up a serious sport injury, I worry about the choices they make, I worry…….You get the picture?

3. Dealing with toddler tantrums and teenage hormones (and we have rather a lot of those in the mix at the moment….)

4. First day at a new school. Watching them venture off all nervous and vulnerable, it’s horrid!

5. Boy-friends! Everything about them. Nuff said!

6. Dealing with sibling fights. As the mom you are in such a precarious position in these situations – you love both of them and you don’t want to appear to be taking sides, the situation is fraught with potential pit-falls. And I manage to fall into the pit again and again....

7. Seeing them being unfairly treated – by friends, teachers, sports coaches, whoever. Stuff happens and they have to learn to deal with it, but it is so hard watching it happen. It’s also horrible to see them lose their innocence, to see them realise that life isn’t always fair or just.

8. Those “end of an era” moments – when you throw away the last nappy (diaper), the last baby bottle, when your little girl wears a bra for the first time, your daughter’s last day at school... It’s in these moments that you realise that your babe is growing up and you know that you can never steal those “baby” moments back again. It’s heart-breaking!

9. When my kids look at me with a certain, patronising look of complete incomprehension – it’s a look that loosely translates to “What are you talking about? You are SO last decade!” You have to see it….

10. Letting go. It is SO hard and SO necessary

7 comments:

baby~amore' said...

*Nods head* - I so agree with this list ! - well not the boyfriends - he is into girls but hasn't really had a serious girlfriend -yet !
Thanks for your supportive comments.

Just Jen said...

LOL
I love the vomit line...
you have to add cleaning the toilet when you have boys...sigh

Lucy said...

boy are these SOOO relatable Gill! but I think #2 will kill me one day! I feel exactly the way u do!
(your gray story inspired my newest post, which had been hanging around my brain)
thanks!

Jeanne said...

I don't have kids but I remember my mom talking about many of these!! And despite not having kids, the very thought that I will never see my little nephew as an unspeakably adorable 6-month old again breaks my heart.

Simply Mel said...

Very conclusive list....I am not as far along in the process as you but I see it all loud and clear in my future!

Alison said...

Sounds like my list. I wish I had something witty or wise to say, but writing my daily blog entry has used up my brain juice and I need to go and recharge.

Eleni said...

I found this from A Bad Mommy's Blog, and I'm not a mom, but I 1000% agree with the worrying. I don't know how I'm ever going to survive being a mom-I worry SO much. I'm 21 and I just got a dog (a boxer) and we (my family) have always had multiple pets at a time, but this was the first time that a pet was MY idea. I pushed, begged, debated, made power point presentations, etc. and finally got a "yes." I payed for her and take care of her (although I do get a lot of help from my mom) and I worry about her ALL. THE. TIME. I'm just literally obsessed with her. I've had her for 3 weeks and I've taken 500 pictures of her-OBSESSED. I'll probably lose all my hair when I'm a mom, haha.

Milk Kefir

Lately I've been been absent from my blog - but I've been having a lot of fun doing different things, things like making milk kefir!...