Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Left or right?


Sometimes (mainly when I can't sleep at night!) I go back in my mind to one or other life-changing decision that I have made over the course of my life and I picture the chain of events that would have unfolded had I made a completely different decision at that time.
For example: Imagine if I had decided to delay getting married for say 5 or 10 years – would I ultimately have married someone else? Would I have created a challenging career for myself? Imagine if Grant and I had married when we did, but had decided not to have children – would we have saved enough money to travel the world? Would we be living in another country?

I think back to New Year’s Day 2005, Grant and Roxy were umming and aaahing about going cycling, the weather wasn’t looking too good, but they felt like getting on their bikes. They eventually decided to ride, Grant had a bad fall, ended up in surgery having plates and pins inserted into his leg and that night suffered a DVT and landed up spending a few days in ICU. For a little while, things were touch and go. Had they not gone riding that day and opted instead to stay at home, would Grant have avoided that life-threatening situation?

I find it so interesting that a seemingly straightforward decision can have such far- reaching implications. I am also so glad that we don’t always know how life changing a particular decision will be.

7 comments:

Tamara said...

Have you watched the movie Sliding Doors? It's about exactly that - the little choices and where they take you.

nikita said...

So very true what you say! and how many times can you ask yourself such questions.. ;)

Elinor Dashwood said...

I have thought of things like that, but sometimes when you think "what if", you start to worry more. Like you said, it's a good thing we don't know what's in store for us because of our decisions. As long as we are doing what God wants us to do, you can count on being blessed because of it though.

Have a great day!
Elinor

Just Jen said...

Just stopping by to give you an update to my new blog url, I'm hoping this will ditch the watchful eyes of my 'troll'. http://humbleopinion2.blogspot.com/
(I often ask myself the kid questions...sigh)

The Jackson Files said...

I often think about this - especially when I am stuck in a traffic jam that's caused by an accident or something like that. Imagine how many times in our lives we are this close to death, but we're completely unaware of it. Amazing thought.

angel said...

i agree, it is amazing, its just sad when people get stuck on the "what if" and never do anything!

Jeanne said...

This is so true - sometimes it's the littlest decisions that lead to the biggest long-term effects, and at the time you make the decision you have no idea what is riding on it. I chose the BComm Law curriculum out of the 8 possible BComm curricula because, umm, it had the fewest early morning lectures - which is how I ende up a lawyer without ever planning to.
:)

Milk Kefir

Lately I've been been absent from my blog - but I've been having a lot of fun doing different things, things like making milk kefir!...