Sunday, August 03, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees


I've just finished reading "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. What a wonderful read! It is set in the American South in 1964, the year of the Civil Rights Act and follows the journey of a 14 year old girl and her African-American nanny as they flee from the young girl's cruel father and from racial injustice in their small Southern town. They are not sure where they are headed, but ultimately find a place of safety, love and acceptance and learn much about life, love and the strength of the human spirit in-between.

I really don't do the book justice here, but if you haven't read it, get your hands on a copy, you won't be sorry.
Oh, and apparently the book has been made into a film, starring Dakota Fanning, Jennifer Hudson and Queen Latifah (I think she will make an excellent August) due for release later this year. I can't wait!

3 comments:

Just Jen said...

I opened your blog and saw I had an email. I go check and you're leaving a message on my blog...LOL...great minds think alike I guess...LOL
I'd love to see that movie, I like queen latifah!

Lucy said...

OH Im so excited! they are making this a movie?? I adored this book too Gill. I read it a while ago, but hearing your praise, i feel like re-reading it!
If you loved this may I suggest 'snowflower and the secret fan' and "The glass Castle" If you haven't read them,
I think you would love these too.
Another book I just finished that I really enjoyed was The english American. Very humorous and sweet.

angel said...

okay. i think i have to read this now. this is the 3rd review i've seen for it!

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...