Monday, August 25, 2008

The weekend that was

This weekend we went up to Midlands Saddle and Trout, a timeshare resort in the KZN Midlands, near to the small town of Mooiriver. We used to be frequent visitors, but unfortunately the place became a little run-down and badly managed and so we hadn't been back for quite some time. This time round we were pleasantly surprised, the resort has been re-vamped and the management appeared to have changed, so it was all good. And we had deliciously warm weather which is unusual in that area at this time of year.

Unfortunately I forgot to pack my camera and so I haven't got any photos to share. I was so annoyed with myself as we got to see a cow giving birth (it was quite amazing!) and I would love to have had the camera handy. Typical!

We also saw a Secretary Bird. I had only ever seen one in the wild once before, so that was pretty special too.
(photo from Wikipedia)

We browsed the Midlands Meander a little, had a pub lunch at Rawdons Hotel and spent some time looking at the horses at the resort. We also got to spend some family time with Impi, which was lovely as he is having a very busy term at school and is not getting home much. Paula misses him dreadfully, so she really enjoyed doing some bonding with her bro'. And that was our weekend in a nutshell.

(I won't mention a particular rugby match in which the Boks got slaughtered by the Aussies... or the fact that the Olympics ended with us having won exactly one medal.....sob, sob)

Talking about the Olympics did you see Maarten van der Weijden who won the Men's 10km swim? Oh my word! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! And he is a leukemia survivor, what a man.

5 comments:

Tamara said...

South Africa's sporting activities of late leave much room for improvement, but there's nothing better than spending time in the Midlands around spring. I long for a week at Nottingham Road ;-)

Elinor Dashwood said...

Glad you had a great time away. Bummer about not having your camera! I usually keep mine in my purse for those 'just in case' moments, but I have had many times where I felt like you when I didn't have it.

Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog!!! I appreciated them very much.

Have a great week,
Elinor

Lucy said...

glad u had fun. I forgot my camera when we went to Hershey Park PA. I was so disappointed.
A cow giving birth would have made quite a nice post!
xo

Addie said...

Sounds like a whole lot of fun ... will go check the place out. Isn't it amazing how all the "good" things happen when the camera is NOT close by?

I actually watched the rugby this weekend - so unlike me.

angel said...

oh i could kick myself when i leave my camera behind!!!

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...