Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Officially broke!

I am officially broke...and it's 2 weeks and 2 days until payday - I counted. The reason for this sorry state of affairs has to do with .....




......... these two little darlings!

About 10 days ago, Zippity-Boo went investigating in the garden and came inside with a deep hole in the top of his nose, very close to his eye; he was squirting blood all over the place and looking very sorry for himself. Rox and I first did some panicking and shrieking and then raced off to the vet with him (after hours of course, why do these things always happen after hours??) It was established that a cat had bitten him. We know this because a very sharp, small, feline tooth had penetrated the bone and gone straight into his sinus cavity. Having had a couple of injections, submitted to having the wound thouroughly cleaned and medicated, and being presented with 2 bags of pills, one very disgruntled little feline returned home. That little adventure cost me roughly R500...

Last week Jackie was taken off to the vet because she was, scratching, scratching, scratching... to the point that she was developing bare patches. She suffers from a chronic skin condition common to Jack Russells and we have medication to use at home when it gets bad, but it had gone beyond the point of self-medication this time. While she was there she had her annual shots and we stocked up on flea medication for all our furry creatures (with Spring comes an invasion of fleas on the east coast of South Africa) and R750 later we headed home...

(add to this the fact that my Paula-poops has out grown most of her Summer wardrobe and she needed new school shoes this month and she is going on a school trip that needed to be paid for this month ...)

So that is why I am feeling pooooor BUT I am way better off than my hair stylist T whom you me in this post!

Spare a thought for T and her beloved furry companions:

A little while ago T's hubby was practising his golf swing and Cat A happened to streak in front of him at the crucial moment, Cat As leg was crushed and eventually had to be amputated!!

While Cat A was still in the vet hospital, Dog A developed a limp and the vet prescribed anti-inflammatories.

Cat B managed to get hold of Dog A's medication and ate all of it!! Cat B was rather unwell after this little feast.

Dog B was then attacked by the neighbour's Alsatian while innocently minding its own business and required a very large number of stitches.

Dog A's limp did not improve and on further investigation it was discovered that Dog A would require a knee replacement. The operation was duly performed.

Dog B then burst a blood vessel in its ear and last I heard was going in for surgery yesterday.

Dog A developed an infection and required yet more medication.

At last count my hairdresser T had coughed up in excess of R7500 in vet bills in 6 weeks!!!!!

10 comments:

Jeanne said...

And people ask my qhy I don't have pets?! :o)

Hope your kitty is on the mend and that whoever the attaker was doesn't come back!

Addie said...

Chilren are cheaper to maintain ... or are they really???

Simply-Mel said...

I am with Addie!

Good grief - I can barely believe this aint fiction!!!

Lucy said...

oh no!! Nothing worse than when are pets aren't well. And the money!! DOn't I know!
And it ALWAYS happens after the vet is closed GIll, the vet bribes the pet with treats and instructs them to wait till then, didn't you know that?
hang in there!

Linda said...

Hoping Zippity-Boo is doing well by now. Too bad we can't add our pets to our health insurance plans!!

My dog, CC, has been throwing up for a few days. She has an appointment with the Vet on Thursday. I dread that bill.

Tamara said...

Eish. That sucks. Hope your kitty's better.

I've tagged you. so you know ;-)

angel said...

oooer that is SO ouch!!!

nikita said...

my Jack Russel's name was also Jackie! Cute doggie and cat! they can cost you an arm and a leg if they want!

supermom said...

Oh my goodness that's a lot of money and I thought I was broke after buying my brand new Bella dog

Simone said...

I can identify with the broke part.

I am busy ruminating on an updated bucket list - it's a lot more difficult than one would think!  The last time I created a bucket...