Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Books, books and more books

You may remember that a while back I posted about the Big Book List (the original post is here) and committed myself to reading some decent literature? I thought I'd update you on my progress.

The list of books I planned on reading was:

The Color Purple - Alice Walker
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - C S Lewis
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
Middlemarch - George Eliot
Emma - Jane Austen
Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
Atonement - Ian McEwan
Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson
Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
Watership Down – Richard Adams
A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

The ones I have crossed off are the ones I have now read. I have enjoyed all of the books so far, but if I had to choose a favourite it would be "The Kite Runner" - wow, what an incredible book!

I'm currently 1/2 way through "Sense and Sensibility" and next on my list is "Prayer for Owen Meany"

It's quite slow going as I have to read a bit of fluff inbetween too, just for fun, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this little exercise.

12 comments:

Rambler said...

We have such similar must-read lists. I'm about to start the 'The Kite Runner". Can't believe I haven't read it yet. And I studied George Eliot's "Middlemarch". Seeing it on your list made me shudder. Maybe I should reread it now that I'm not forced to?

Simply-Mel said...

Okay, confession time. I started the Kite Runner and couldnt get into it.

*duck as abuse is hurled*

Russ is now reading it and every day he tells me more - I feel like a kindergartner being told a story! What an unbelievable story. I think I will go back and read it anyway.

Or maybe see the movie. *wink*

Gill said...

I also took a while to get into it Mel, but I am so glad I did. It's by no means an easy read, but Wow, what a story. The more you think about it the deeper you go, if you know what I mean?

Simone said...

Well done. Hope you are enjoying it.

Regina said...

Great list! I see Wuthering Heights on there, that is one of my all time favorite books!
Keep up the good work!

Marsha said...

I've read many of the books on your list but many, many years ago for several of them. I used to be a voracious reader but just can't seem to focus on reading like I used to. Maybe I need a list of books to read (or re-read) to spur me back.

Shayne said...

Kite Runner is superb! You must read Atonement (or at least see the movie) and Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime. Brilliant reading. Good luck with the rest of them!

Linda said...

We all need the fluff in our lives. Glad you are enjoying the classics.

Ordinarylife said...

What a great idea!

The Jackson Files said...

Well done. The Kite Runner is a masterpiece. I'm desperate to read his second novel too.

angel said...

well thats impressive!

Jeanne said...

I loved Kite Runner - a friend recommended it to me and I'm so glad he did. I read most of it on a flight home to SA and found myself riveted and often in tears.

I loved Owen Meany too - but be warned, it also made me cry! John Irving is one of my all-time favourite writers - my favourite is probably Widow for One Year which is also very much worth reading!

I am busy ruminating on an updated bucket list - it's a lot more difficult than one would think!  The last time I created a bucket...