Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The last day of 2008!


I’ve seen this Year End Meme around and about the Blogosphere and thought I should give it a go

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? I baked bread and I puffed on a Hubbly-bubbly (naughty, naughty!)

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I had really good intentions about doing some self-nurturing this year and unfortunately I didn’t quite achieve what I had hoped, but I made some progress and I plan to make more progress in 2009. So I will definitely be making some New Year resolutions.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? I so, so wish!

4. Did anyone close to you die? My mom

5. What countries did you visit? I wish I could say somewhere exciting, but I never left our sunny shores at all! We had planned a fantastic family trip to Greece, the UK and a whirl-wind tour of Paris for May this year, but my mom wasn’t well enough for us to do it.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? Money! Lots and lots of money!

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? 21 November - my mom died

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Staying sane!!

9. What was your biggest failure? I failed to stick to a healthy eating regime!

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nope, apart from some minor gripes, I have been in rude good health this year.

11. What was the best thing you bought? No one thing stands out in my mind, but lots of little things we’ve bought have brought me pleasure. Among them a nice rug for our lounge, a couple of new duvet covers and other odds and ends for the house, and of course books – I LOVE buying books.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My children. Rox had a very successful year as a teacher’s assistant and passed her 1st year Business Management exam. Impi was made Deputy Head-Boy of Glenwood High School and Paula came 3rd in class and got an outstanding report.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Robert Mugabe, what an idiot!

14. Where did most of your money go? Groceries – how boring.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The Sharks winning the Currie Cup and our cricket team teaching the Aussie cricketers a lesson.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? Kid Rock’s “All Summer Long” – love it!

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer? Oooh this is a nasty one.
(a) In some ways I am definitely in a better place than I was this time last year, but I still have some work to do. I wouldn’t say I am ecstatically happy, but I am more at peace. BUT...
(b) I am nearly 5kgs fatter than I was last year this time! Horrifying, absolutely bliming horrifying I tell ya. Guess what my New Year’s resolution is????
(c) I am a little bit richer, but next year is my year for sticking to my budget!

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Relaxed!!

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Eaten!! LOL! See No.17

20. How did you spend Christmas? Grant, the girls and I prepared a Christmas Eve dinner of cold gammon and turkey and all sorts of salads, which we took over to my Dad’s house and enjoyed with the extended family. On Christmas Day we went to church and then had a big, fat Christmas lunch at a local restaurant with my Dad, the aunts and the Uncle

21. Did you fall in love in 2008? I fell in love with my precious little Zippity-Boo

22. What was your favorite TV program? Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice and Army Wives – can’t choose one.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Robert Mugabe.

24. What was the best book you read? That’s a tough call. I read some seriously good books in 2008. I loved quite a few of them and couldn’t possibly choose just one.
To name a few: “The Kite Runner” was harrowing, but brilliant, I loved “Captain Corelli’s Mandolin” and “Watership Down”. Earlier in the year I really enjoyed “Eat, Pray, Love”, “The Secret Life of Bees” and “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn”. Paula and I have also read loads of Lori Wick and Janette Oke books and, as always, those remain favourites.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Forgive me for being cheesy, but I really love the Mamma Mia soundtrack and I have also fallen in love with Duffy this year. I LOVED “No Air” by Jordan Sparks and Chris Brown, "Warwick Avenue" by Duffy, "Nothing Sweet about Me" by Gabriella Cilmi and "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay ....there were others, but for the love of life none come to mind right now.

26. What did you want and get? An air-conditioner. Thanks Dad!!

27. What did you want and not get? Nigella’s "Christmas"

28. What was your favorite film of this year? Mamma Mia, hands down, I LOVED it and I watched it again …and again….and again...

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 40! I had a stomach bug, but I still managed to go out for lunch with my whole fam-damily

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? To have felt spiritually calm. I am in the process of "finding myself" spiritually - I'm doing some serious soul-searching and although it is necessary, it's not entirely a comfortable process.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Hee, hee. Um… I clearly demonstrated that it is possible to wear jeans ALL the time!

32. What kept you sane? My fantastically, amazing daughters and my long-suffering husband, my beloved Dad, Impi and Eunice, as well as a couple of delightful dogs and a crazy cat. And the Hunter’s Dry didn’t hurt either….

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I have a long-standing “thing” for Hugh Grant, but I am two-timing a little with Colin Firth (sorry Hugh! Love ya Colin!). Sadly, Johnny Depp’s star is on the descent.

34. What political issue stirred you the most? The goings-on across our borders in Zim, as well as the antics of our very own JZ!

35. Who did you miss? My Aunt Pam. I always miss my Aunt Pam, but there were some times this year when I could REALLY have done with her gentle voice on the other end of the phone line.

36. Who was the best new person you met? Rox’s new BFF Roy.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. You gotta stress less!

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. You knew it would be a Mamma Mia song didn’t you?!

Seriously, the first time I heard this song it spoke to me, because this is SO how I feel about my girls. This year I have realized, more than any other, how quickly they grow and how very little time we have with our children. I am SO blessed that Rox is still living at home even though she has finished school and I treasure every moment with her. Paula is growing up before my very eyes and I am very aware that she is not going to be at home for too much longer.

Slipping Through my Fingers by ABBA
Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while
The feeling that I'm losing her forever
And without really entering her world
I'm glad whenever I can share her laughter
That funny little girl
Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Sleep in our eyes, her and me at the breakfast table
Barely awake, I let precious time go by
Then when she's gone there's that odd melancholy feeling
And a sense of guilt I can't deny
What happened to the wonderful adventures
The places I had planned for us to go
Well, some of that we did but most we didn't
And why I just don't know
Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time
Slipping through my fingers
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Schoolbag in hand she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile

12 comments:

Redness said...

Happy New Year to YOU and Yours Dearheart ... working my way back to blogging ... might tackle that meme one day soon ;)Let's shine in 09. xo

Heidi said...

Happy New Year to you Gill and your family. Thanks for posting the Abba song. I've never heard it before and would love to use it for a graduation song for my daughter who is 16. It's very sad at how fast she has grown up. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets melancholy thinking about her leaving someday.

Blessings,

Heidi in Florida
http://hwincek1tampabayrrcom.blogspot.com/

Lucy said...

happy new year Gill, loved all your answers. I adored the play Mama mia! and loved all the abba songs.
and yes.. you gotta have less stress! let's strive for that in 09 Gill!
xo

Regina said...

Happy New Year to you and your Gil!
I loved your answer to #6, Isn't that what we all want more of in 2009?!?!
Blessings to you!

Linda said...

I'm with you on #6!!! Happy New Year!!!

The Jackson Files said...

LOVE it.

Here's to a very happy and successful 2009, Gill. I really look forward to reading more about you and your lovely family.

Marsha said...

Happy New Year Gill... I'm hoping everyone has a better year!

Simone said...

Very cool meme

Looking forward to sharing bits and pieces of 2009 with ya.

Rambler said...

such fun to read...

hope 2009 is a fantastic year for you! Look forward to reading more!

cx

Caz said...

Great post!
Loved Capt Corelli's Mandolin and Kite Runner is good, but A Thousand Splendid Suns is better... BRILLIANT BOOK!

Also TOTALLY with you on Mugabe. Was in Zim this holiday and now that i've seen it first hand it suddenly feels personal!

Jeanne said...

What a great post Gill! Love no. 32's answer :)

And I knew that Abba song from the vinyl album (which I still own) version back in the 1980s. It's always been a little obscure and I was thrilled when they used it in the show & movie. It made me cry even when I was still at school - and now it makes me cry BUCKETS! Watched the movie (again) on New Years day and it was the best possible way to start the year :)

Wenchy said...

love mamma mia

Camino Portuguese (Coastal Route)

We are planning another Camino walking holiday!  I couldn't be more excited.  The plan is that next year, in June, Grant, Paula and I wi...