Saturday, January 17, 2009

Interview Me!

My friend Lucy recently posted an interview on her blog. I thought it was a fun idea, so I asked her to interview me.

Here are the basic rules...**Let me know if you'd like to play along and I'll send you some questions!
1. Leave a comment saying Interview me.
2.If you want to keep your email address private, email me your request to interview you (gillsjottings@gmail.com)
3. I will email you 5 questions. I get to pick the questions.
4. You can answer the questions on your blog.
5. post rules on your blog with an offer to interview anyone else who emails you wanting to be interviewed.
6. Anyone wishing to be interviewed should be sent 5 questions on their blog.
7. It would be nice if the questions were individualized for each blogger.

** here are the questions Lucy sent me and my answers.. (Thanks Lucy!)


1) Besides becoming more forgetful, (don't we all have that symptom?) what other changes have you felt are happening as you grow older? Good or bad.
The first thing that comes to mind is weight gain! The kilos just seem to pile on a hellava lot easier than they did before and are a whole lot harder to get rid of……. It’s all very disturbing!!

But on the positive side, I feel that I am a lot more comfortable in my own skin. I am far more accepting of who I am and I am not as afraid of standing up for myself. I like myself a lot more now than I did in my 20s and 30s. I’ve come to realize that if people don’t accept me as I am it is their problem, not mine (I really wish I had, had this figured out in my teens and 20s, it would have saved me SO much angst!!)

2) Tell us about your favorite school teacher and why you remember them
I had quite a few school teachers that I really liked, but I think the one that made the biggest impression on me was Mrs Douglas who was my teacher in Grade 3. I arrived in this woman’s class a whimpering, nervous wreck and in the space of one year she restored my faith in grown-ups and in me. Picture the scene: in the preceding 2 years I had moved away from my beloved grandparents who I had lived with for 3 years – they literally meant everything to me; I had been presented with a baby brother, my grandfather was terminally ill, my mother was in the process of divorcing for the 2nd time in 5 years, and I had just spent the preceding year in the class of Cruella DeVille herself (this woman was a raging monster, no kidding!) I was the most mixed up, unhappy little 8 year old you could possibly imagine. Mrs Douglas seemed like an angel to me, she never raised her voice, she was kindness and compassion personified and she was this stable, calm force in my life when I really needed one.

3) Where do u see yourself in 10 years? 20 years?
Oh my goodness, this one’s difficult!

In 10 years time I hope to still be living in Shelly Beach. But like many South Africans, I have to wonder whether I will even be living in this country?! I would LOVE not to be working, but in all likelihood I will still be going to work every day. My daughters will probably both have left home, so I would imagine that Grant and I would have moved into a complex of some sort. I imagine that I will have more time to devote to my hobbies, so maybe, just maybe, I would have finished the cross-stitch project I began 2 years ago (I kid you not!) and I might even have taken up scrapbooking again! I am almost afraid to say it, but I would love to become a granny in the next 10 years!

In 20 years I would surely have retired??!! I really hope to have a couple of grandkids to spoil rotten by that stage. I will be a lady of leisure, pottering around in my house accompanied by the little lap-dog that I plan to acquire the moment I retire. I will be reading countless books (probably in large print) and spending my time exactly as I please.

4) Tell us your favorite memory raising your children and one from your own childhood.
I’ve spent quite a bit of time thinking about this question. Having a 5 ½ year gap between my girls means that, on the whole, they have never been all that close – they have always been at vastly different stages of their lives. Lately though, the gap seems to be decreasing. Paula is entering her teenage years and Rox is still in her teenage years (most of the time) so they are finally beginning to have something in common. (I am getting to the part where I answer the question, promise!) I have many wonderful memories of raising my girls, but they are individual memories – Paula doing such and such, or Rox the day she did ****. I have very few memories of them doing things together, but since they have developed this new-found sibling closeness that is changing. One such memory that sticks out in my mind is the day that Rox drove Paula to school for the first time. Rox had this look of pride on her face – look at me, all grown up, driving my sister to school and Paula was equally proud, beaming from ear to ear – check me out dudes, heading off to school in my big sister’s car. It was so, so sweet!!

Okay, now a memory from my childhood. When I was a teenager my Gran lived in a flat (apartment) in the town we lived in. Often on weekends I would go and spend a night with her. We did nothing extraordinary, we’d cook a simple meal together and then chat or watch TV, but it always felt so special. Just the two of us, having a sleep-over. I really treasure the memories of those times, because not long after that she had a stroke which she never fully recovered from.

5) First kiss stories can be fun. Tell us yours.
Hee, hee! Believe it or not, I actually still talk to the beneficiary of my first kiss. We were 11 or 12 years old at the time and we were at one of our first “dancing” parties. The kiss happened in a dark corner and, at the time, I thought it was the most romantic moment of my life! In retrospect it was very much a “hit and miss” affair, flavoured with Strawberry Roll ‘o Gloss….. LOL!

4 comments:

Lucy said...

adorable answer to #5 Gill! I loved reading all your answers! You've been A great PLEasure to interview my dear!! haha
thanks for playing along!
boy don't you wish every kid could experience a Mrs. Douglas? how sweet!

Simply-Mel said...

How fun! Lucy has also interviewed me and I will be posting tomorrow. Such a cool idea and I so enjoyed reading your answers. No:5 is so sweet. (my experience, less so!)

Jeanne said...

Great answers :) Roll-O-Gloss!! Oh the memories that brings back... I am still in touch with my first kiss recipient too!

angel said...

this was so interesting!

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...