Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Paula's first day of high school!



My "baby" headed off to high school yesterday! Thankfully the name tag only has to be worn for a week ;-) (and yes, we are going to get that fringe cut soon!)

She came home from her first day yesterday feeling rather "under-awed" about high school. I gather that the layout of the school is constructed with the sole purpose of confusing the Grade 8s... LOL! They repeatedly ended up in the wrong classroom, for the wrong lesson, looking like complete charlies! She was a bundle of nerves by the time bed-time came last night, fretting about what today would bring. Well I'm happy to report that today went much better and the verdict when I fetched her today was that school was "awesome" :-)

Although the doctor booked Paula off for this week she was determined that she had to go to school - there was no way she was going to miss her 1st week of high school and arrive the 2nd week not knowing what was going on. I see where she is coming from, but I can't say I am too happy about her straining herself like this. She comes home completely exhausted. They are having a "sleep-over" at the school on Friday and again, I would far rather she skipped it, but she is one determined, stubborn young lady and she has every intention of being at the sleep-over...

8 comments:

angel said...

I am glad things went well for her, and I also get where she's coming from... but it is a pity she couldn't stay home a little longer.

momcat said...

She has been a busy young lady this year so far what with the op and starting high school. The initiation weekend is the highlight of starting high school. I think that you just have to insist that she doesn't take part in anything too active at the sleepover. I am glad that she is now much more positive about her school - its a big step.

Kitty Cat said...

Shame, I would also not want to miss the first week. Hope she doesn't feel too exhausted.

The Jackson Files said...

Wow, all grown up! And good for her for going in even when she's not 100%. Determination like that will get her far in life, don't you think?

addie said...

Well done, Paula!!! Trust its the beginning of a good high school career!!!

LOL at the name badge - I have seen a few children in my neighbourhood with similar name tages and yes, I immediately knew why ... ha ha ha

nikita said...

Let her enjoy high school!! Our Schools in SA is just great and big fun for kids to be in, most Secondary schools in London is just NO fun for any kid...not comparing to the fun our kids in SA have! and that includes athletics and all that goes with it. I realise more and more how much our schools have to offer to develop a child's whole personality in comparing in English schools...so, let her have all those sleep-overs at school...let her do all those athletics, even if she's not great at it..and all those sing-songs! etc etc etc...I can honestly say that our schools are far more fun with all the activities going on in school...kids have a proper life in and out of school, far more balanced...

Tamara said...

I had to wear a nametag at school every day and we got detention if we were caught without ours on. Lucky for her it's only a week. I think in the end it's better for her to be a bit tired but not miss out and feel like she's been excluded. Good call, Gill, hard as it is.

Jeanne said...

When I started high school we had to wear an A4 size cardboard placard around our necks for the first month bearing our name - it was bloody excruciating!

Camino Portuguese (Coastal Route)

We are planning another Camino walking holiday!  I couldn't be more excited.  The plan is that next year, in June, Grant, Paula and I wi...