Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Update on Paula

off to theatrePaula off to theatre! (notice the painter in the background - the hospital is undergoing major renovations....not much fun!)

A quick update on Paula: We've just come back from a visit to her and she is looking good! She is being spoilt rotten, with flowers, fruit baskets, sweets....... and feels like quite the princess.

Her surgery went well yesterday - they removed about a litre (!!) of fluid and quite a large tumor from her right ovary. According to the gynae "there were no obvious signs of cancer in the tumor" but it has been sent to the path lab just to be sure.
She was very nauseous and in a lot of pain after the op. It was so heart-wrenching to see her shivering and crying with pain when she came back to the ward, my heart broke in a thousand pieces! But they gave her some more medication for both the pain and the nausea and she was soon looking a lot more comfortable. I spent the whole day with her at the hospital and by last night was practically falling over with exhaustion - needless to say we both slept very well last night!

I told her to phone me first thing in the morning to let me know how she was feeling and she took my word for it and rang me at 05:15am! So we had quite an early morning Chez Richardson. And would you believe it, I totally forgot that it's my birthday today!!! Grant and I were sitting in bed chatting and sipping coffee when he suddenly woke up to the fact. You know you've reached an advanced age when you forget your own birthday! But in my defence, we celebrated on Sunday instead of today as we knew that Paulz would be in hospital today.

Thanks so much for your concern, Paula and I both really, really appreciate it!

12 comments:

Janine said...

Awww. Happy Birthday! That's a true "You Know You're a Mom When" moment.

kerri said...

Yes, Happy Birthday!! And so glad to hear all went well. Praying for you all. :)

Marsha said...

Happy birthday Gill and thanks for passing on the update about Paula... glad everything went so well with the surgery.

Enjoy the day and your daughter - well enjoy both of them!

Kitty Cat said...

Happy Birthday Gill!!!!
And wishing Paula a speedy recovery. Much good wishes to you both.
I had to just come back here and check up on your news.

allie said...

I add my voice to all the comments above.

So glad the ordeal is behind you - and glad she is coming home today where you can "mom" her properly.

So grateful it went well!

Rambler said...

Happy Birthday!

Not sure I'd ever forget my own birtday - I'm way too good at reminding everyone else.

Glad to hear Paula is on the mend!

Big hug

Jeanne said...

Happy birthday Gill! And I'm glad you got the best present you could have hoped for - a daughter who's doing well after surgery :)

Jack said...

Glad to hear all went well with your daughter. I was in your position two years ago with my daughter, it is exhausting for the mom. Take care!... oh, Happy Birthday :)

The Jackson Files said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I can't believe that you forgot! And GREAT news about Paula.

angel said...

happy belated birthday wishes! aw hell i missed so much while i was on holiday- i am so glad the surgery went well, i hope paulz is well on the way to recovery by now!

Tamara said...

Happy belated birthday! glad to hear Paula is doing well. Biggest hugs your way ;-)

Redness said...

Belated BigLOVE and HugeHUGS to you both now and always and most of all Happpeeee Belated Birthday ... can ya hear me singing ;)

Camino Portuguese (Coastal Route)

We are planning another Camino walking holiday!  I couldn't be more excited.  The plan is that next year, in June, Grant, Paula and I wi...