Friday, April 24, 2009

Thumb watching

I've been doing a lot of thumb watching the last couple of days.

And no, it's not because I just recently discovered that the average guy's pen1s is twice the length of his thumb! Sis! Get your mind out of the gutter!!

My obsession with thumbs stems from the fact that, if you voted in the South African election on Wednesday, you will be suffering from Voter's Thumb. Before casting our ballots we were marked with indelible ink on our left thumbs. Some Inkers were more zealous than others and the mark ranges from a tiny dot on the cuticle, to a full blown stripe down the thumb such as the one the enthusiastic IEC chappie provided me with:

Voter's Thumb

So, I have been taking a keen interest in the condition of the left thumb of everyone I have come into contact with since the election. Because, quite frankly, if you aren't sporting a Voter's Thumb I have to confess that I don't like you very much right now!

I'm a firm believer in the power of the vote. Every South African, over the age of 18, who had the capacity to vote should have queued to make their mark on Wednesday. As adults we have a responsibility to do so. No excuses...

6 comments:

Rambler said...

Your stripe is longer than mine... but I have a very big thumb.

ahem

Gill said...

LOL Clive!

supermom said...

Oh gosh my nail looks horrible!!! I look like a mechanic

Kitty Cat said...

My stripe was only on my skin, not on my nail, and the only way I've found to remove it is to use a file (a nail file) and gently buff the skin till it comes off. Sort of. But I agree, we should all vote if we're eligible.

Lynda said...

Gill, now you're going to have ME looking at everyone's thumb I encounter on my travels !LOL I agree, every one should vote, I always think of all the people who fought for the right to vote and the many who lost their lives because of it, now so many have the opportunity to do so, & don't - for one reason or another ! So pointless ....

Jeanne said...

I was fascinated that the ink seemed to show up as a totally different colour on my skin as opposed to my husband's skin! I also felt really sorry for the people who had the ink run into their cuticles - they looked like they had some horrible disease!

I am busy ruminating on an updated bucket list - it's a lot more difficult than one would think!  The last time I created a bucket...