Thursday, May 28, 2009

Birthday wishes and a big vent!

Happy Birthday Eunicie!



You're looking at one of my very favourite people in the world. Eunice means so much to me, she has touched my life in such a profound and unexpected way and I love her very, very dearly. Our relationship defies description, but there is no doubt that we love each other and look out for each other and probably get along a whole lot better than most mothers and daughters. She's taught me more about unconditional love than anyone else I know.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which is why I just have to post this next little vent. I really didn't want to spoil my birthday tribute to Eunice with this, but I just have to get it off my chest. My blood is literally boiling.

As I was leaving work today I popped in to say goodbye to Eunice and we had a little chat. In the course of our conversation she told me about an incident that happened at church on Sunday.

Eunice attends a Sunday afternoon service for Zulu speakers at a local church. An elderly Zulu pastor conducts these services on a voluntary basis. During the service on Sunday the white pastor walked into the church and looked up at the air conditioner, walked into another room, came back, interrupted the service, called the Zulu pastor to the side and asked him why the airconditioner was on, the Zulu pastor explained that it was on when he got there, probably put on by one of the ladies in the congregation who readies the church for the services, the white pastor got a bit upset, saying it should not be on, walked across the room, picked up the air con remote, switched it off and walked out shaking his head and muttering under his breath. Eunice said the congregation were really upset, well obviously!

To my way of thinking this is just SO disgusting and disgraceful on SO many levels!! For anyone to behave like this is really, really bad, but for a pastor......!!

I generally like to live with rose-coloured spectacles firmly on my nose, I like to believe that on the whole most South Africans are actually getting along just fine. Yes we have the odd racist idiot out there, both black and white; but the majority of us are doing okay. We're living side by side and it's going just fine. Of late those spectacles have been knocked a bit askew and this incident has pretty much wiped them right off my face.

Eunice is not a racist person at all. (In a previous election we had a farcical situation where I was trying to convince Eunice to vote with me for a predominantly "black" political party and Eunice was trying to convince me to vote with her for a party which is generally perceived as being "white") So how does this make her feel? If I was her I would become totally militant on the spot!

What the hell (exercising admirable self restraint here) is the matter with these people?? Who the ...hell does this a-hole think he is? What right has he to come and insult (by his actions) a dignified old pastor who was probably sitting there preaching "Do unto others...." and "Love your neighbour.....".

This is a prime example of why I am going off organised religion FAST. I know he was acting in his private capacity, but there are just too many "men of the cloth" out there who get up on a Sunday and preach all the right words and in their private lives they live out something completely different. Idiots!

What hope is there for this country if this kind of thing goes on? Grant and I walk in the mornings and we greet each and every person that walks past us. I was just thinking the other morning that it's a bit hurtful the number of black people that refuse to greet us back. Quite honestly I thought we were over that kind of stuff in this country. If someone greets you, you greet back surely? Well after hearing about Eunice's experience I fully understand why half the people in this neighbourhood look at me like I am some kind of racist bigot. If the local preacher is a practising racist.....

4 comments:

natalian said...

I am so sorry that Eunice and her congregation had to bear witness to such inconsideration! One would assume that a Pastor would not see colour but obviously this man needs prayer!

Andrea said...

Oh my word my blood is boiling all the way across the ocean...the only tradgedy is that I am not entirely surprised - racism has become more covert, but unfortunatley is still very very present.

Happy Birthday Eunice!
xxx
A

Jenny in Durbs said...

Its unbelievable & horrible.
I still hope eunice had the best birthday.

Jeanne said...

As you say - you can go through life thinking this sort of thing is a thing of the past, and then you come across it again and it actually hurts like a slap. I'm sorry that Eunice and her congregation had to encounter this rude, hypocritical man.

Dealing with grief

I just read this amazing blog post by a mom who recently lost her baby. She gives real, practical examples of what to do/say to someone wh...