Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Good grief woman, get a grip!

We finally went and saw "17 Again" last night - Grant included, he would never openly admit it, but I think he actually likes chick-flicks and teeny-bopper movies. Or maybe he has learnt to tolerate them by force of circumstance?

Anyway, the thing is, and I am deeply ashamed to admit it, but I have developed this alarming crush on Zac Efron.... In the words of Katy Perry, "I was disgusted with myself" when I realised I was licking my lips at the mere sight of him on the big screen, having to wipe away a trail of drool from my chin..... Eeuuww there is something very disturbing about a matronly 40-something year old woman having decidedly dirty thoughts about a rather effeminate 20-something year old. But there you have it, I think he is smoking hot!! Yummy!!

Rox is adamant that he is gay. Could be. I have always had a thing for gay guys. I like my men clean, tidy, sensitive, cute......pretty much sums up 99% of the gay population doesn't it? (If you're reading this Charlie, don't be scared of meeting for coffee I won't hit on you I promise!!) The girls laugh at me because if I point out a cute guy to them, nine times out of ten his boy-friend suddenly appears around the corner.... Just as well I'm happily married, I'd be completely hopeless at trying to find a boy-friend!

Which leads me to wonder how on earth I find myself married to a big hunky, untidy (but clean!), not particularly sensitive, alpha-male kind of dude? My friends were all very surprised when I fell head over heels for Grant, but no-one was more surprised than me! He didn't tick one of the boxes I sub-consciously measured all my boy-friends against. The thing is we click. In some weird and unlikely way, we really, really suit each other.

I know for a fact that I could not live happily with one of the clean, sensitive, obsessively tidy guys that I am naturally attracted to; not for 5 minutes - that'd be waaaay too much angst and obsessiveness in one house. Nope. I need Grant to push my boundaries, to challenge me, to not put up with my sh%t, to give me a sharp reality check every now and then. And he'd never admit it but Grant would be lost without me - he needs me to be the one fretting about things, making lists, moaning about the mess, nagging about tasks left undone... Truth be told, every now and again when no-one is around he actually admits this!

The other night I was lying in bed after Grant had had a particularly alpha-male, butch kind of day and I was pondering these very things; wondering how on earth I find myself happily married to a man who likes to drink beer and sweat and watch violent movies.... shudder.. and then he leant over and kissed me good-night and then he cradled the little kitten that was nestled between our pillows and he kissed her good-night too and suddenly I knew why I married him..... somewhere in amongst all that testosterone there is my sensitive, loving dream come true!

10 comments:

Rambler said...

What an amazing post!

Firstly, there is nothing wrong with drooling over Zac. Well now, if you did it in high School musical 1 then that was creepy... he's just too perfect not to be drooled over...

Secondly, I'm not sure he's gay, but I have the worst gaydar in the world. You literally have to be screaming out of the closet for me to even suspect...

Thirdly, I loved the last part of your blog... so beautiful...

Thanks for a great post to start the day!

Simply-Mel said...

Ha! YOu should have been on FB with me a few weeks ago when I posted the pic of him off Rolling Stone magazine. I almost hyperventilated. I was suitably rebuked by all my aged friends about perving over a boy but THE POINT IS ...

I may be older but I AM NOT FREAKING DEAD!! The boy is hot. Period. And he is not gay. And if he is - who the hell cares, not like I had a shot anyway!!!

Love the last paragraph of your blog - very touching!

natalian said...

My Hubby and I are also complete opposites but I think the reason why it works is that we 'balance' each other.

Andrea said...

I am silenced (and that doesn't happen often lol)...what a STUNNING post and it actually helped me put some stuff into perspective too...thanks so much for sharing!

xxx
A

allie said...

Oh but I enjoyed this post!

As Mel says, because years have passed, it doesn't mean that we are dead - or blind.

I remember a very attractive finalist in The Bachelorette a couple of years ago . . .stupid cow turned him down.
All the girl viewers (and I'm sure those past girlhood) were like: "WhaaaaT! Is the woman crazy?!"

There was a rumour that she was having an affair with her boss: I think we just HAD to find some reason why she would turn down such a gorgeous, quirky intelligent guy.

Just to reassure ourselves that the world had not gone completely mad

Love the end bit too - and I love that my large sporty guy's guy is as soft as butter inside . . . quite mooshy actually.

geoff said...

grant don't get soft on me buddy

Simone said...

He is hot.

We are still waiting to see the movie ourselves - my daughter and I.

Tamara said...

I find it quite disturbing how perfect Zac Efron is, actually. No-one should allowed to be so good-looking and talented.

I too am usually attracted to the un-alpha men, but married a rugby-watching, beer-drinking boer and I loved how you described your relationship with Grant. I so identify! And every time I see him going ga-ga over our kitties, I get to see the softie side ;-)

Regina said...

Hi my friend! Have not been through in a while and hope all is well with you and yours!

As for your dirty little secret! LOL!
You can have your cake and eat it too!

Jeanne said...

I can't say I have a thing for Zac - but I DO have a thing for Brandon Flowers of the Killers, Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance... any androgynous boy in eyeliner, really!! As a previous commenter said, I am married/40, not dead/blind!!

And then, like you, I married this completely Alpha, not-at-all androgynous bloke who drinks beer and burps and farts and knows how to do DIY and loves sport. But I honestly do not think I could have stayed married to anybody else!! Certainyl not somebody who might steal my eyeliner or expensive shampoo ;-)

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...