Friday, August 07, 2009

25 Firsts

I found this meme on Natalian’s blog Twaddle and Twak (love the name of that blog!)

1. Who was your first prom date? I went to my Matric dance with Grant, we got married 3 ½ years later.

2. Do you still talk to your first love? In fact I do, but not very often. He lives in Cape Town now, with his wife and two children. We don’t see each other very often, maybe once in 5 years or so, but we chat on the phone on the odd occasion.

3. What was your first alcoholic drink? Beer shandy. Still love a beer shandy to this day.

4. What was your first job? I had a holiday job working in a Wimpy bar while I was still at school. I still feel the greatest sympathy for the staff when I walk into a Wimpy. You just can’t get that smell off your clothes, or your skin and hair!

5. What was your first car? A Toyota Corolla

6. Who was the first person to text you today? My bank, with my OTP

7. Who was the first person you thought of this morning? Oh that’s easy. My husband’s cell phone battery started going flat in the early hours. My first words were something along the lines of “Grant! I am going to KILL you!”

8. Who was your first grade teacher? Mrs Lazar. She was Canadian. Very sweet lady, which was more than could be said for my Grade Two teacher!

9. Where did you go on your first flight in a plane? My first flight was to visit my grand-parents in Cape Town, I was eight years old and very proud of flying solo. I flew solo quite a bit after that, as my parents were divorced and I'd often fly to see my father in the holidays.

10. Who was your first best friend and do you still talk?
Lisa and I made friends in Grade One and still communicate almost daily. She is and will always be, my very best friend. We have travelled a long road together, through boyfriends, marriages, babies, our parents’ divorces, moving home, bereavement….. the list goes on and on.

11. Where was your first sleepover? I can’t actually remember, but I’m pretty sure it would have been at Lisa’s house.

12. Who was the first person you talked to today? See number 7!!!

13. Whose wedding were you in for the first time? Either my mother’s or my father’s. They both remarried at roughly the same time.

14. What was the first thing you did this morning? Shrieked at my husband, see No. 7!

15. What was the first concert you went to? I can remember seeing Ipi Tombi when I was about 6. Music wise I was a late starter – I saw Michael Learns to Rock when they came to S.A in about 1996.

16. First tattoo? That is still on my to-do list!

17. First piercing? I got my ears pierced when I was about 5.

18. First foreign country you went to? England, as a teenager.

19. First movie you remember seeing? I truly can’t remember. I know that I saw Poseidon adventure at far too young an age, with the result that to this day, I won’t set foot on a cruise liner.

20. What state did you first live in? I was born in Gauteng, but relocated to KZN when I was 6 years old.

21. Who was your first room mate? Grant. But don’t tell my Dad okay!

22. When was your first detention? I was in Grade 8 (Standard 6) and I pretty much lived in detention – I had a very rebellious, mixed up year!

23. If you had one wish what would it be? I am copying Natalian’s answer here, it’s such a good one! To live in a crime free South Africa, now wouldn’t that be paradise?

24. What is one thing you would learn, given the chance? I’d love to be able to paint, but I don’t think I have the gene, I can’t even draw a decent stick figure.

25. Who will be the next person to post this? Whoever would like to do it, please leave a comment, so that I can come read your answers – I’m nosy like that!

5 comments:

angel said...

Awesome list! I may steal it from you to stash for future blog fodder...
:D

Andrea said...

Cool post Gill, nice getting ot know you a bit better and I am so with you and Natalian to live in a crime free South AFrica would indeed be to live in paradise!

xxx
A

Kirsty said...

Gr8 insight ! I will do this soon! Will let you know once I have!

natalian said...

I really enjoyed reading your answers! Agreed! That "Eau de Wimpy" smell seems to penertrate ever pore of ones being!

Jeanne said...

I love no. 7 - sounds a lot like our house :)

I am busy ruminating on an updated bucket list - it's a lot more difficult than one would think!  The last time I created a bucket...