Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Me again.....

You must be getting SO tired of me ranting and raving and moaning and groaning...... I promise this will be the very last negative post for at least a week. Watch this space for a very upbeat post about everything that's making me happy soon, soon!

Today, however, I have to have a gripe because I am royally peed off.

Reason being that some silly ar$e has made my daughters all nervous and scared in their own home. And I just hate that. To me your home should be a place where you feel comfortable, relaxed and nurtured. You should be able to go to sleep at night without feeling scared. I know, I know..... I live in South Africa and nervousness goes with the territory. But really, until Saturday, apart from Rox who lives in a perpetual state of anxiety regarding her safety, we felt relatively safe in our house at night.

On Friday night Paula slept over at her friend's house, which is just a couple of roads away in our neighbourhood. My friend Tania (the mom) woke up in the early hours and heard a noise in the passage, got up and came face to face with an intruder. Thankfully and surprisingly, he looked her in the eyes and began to back away and then made a run for it. The police were called and arrived, with dogs, in 10 minutes, but were unable to find the intruder. He got away with the contents of their wallets (over R1000), and a laptop. He'd entered by bashing in the burglar guards on a window in the lounge. I can't stop thinking about how much worse it could have been.

At the time Paula seemed totally unfazed, she was just really mad at being woken up from her sleep! (This is a girl who loves her sleep) But yesterday she was unhappy about staying at home in the afternoon while Rox and I went for a walk ... not like Paula at all. Grant was away last night and Rox got hardly any sleep. She woke up in the night convinced there was someone in the lounge and was up and about searching out the baddies.....

It makes me so mad that some shameless criminal (Tania said he didn't look a day over 16!) has made us feel all vulnerable and anxious. I hate it. If I could lay my hands on him, I would wring his neck for him! AND spit in his eye!

13 comments:

Tamara said...

It's sad how many South Africans have felt this sort of frustration.

And your blog is where you let it all out. If you're peed off, vent about it and feel better!

Wenchy said...

Unfortunately, this happened to me this last year... it is HORRIBLE and my dear daughter STILL mentions it every night when she goes to bed. :(

thejacksonfiles said...

horrible, horrible. i dread the thought of this ever happening. and what do you do about it? how do you make someone feel less scared? i have no clue.

Redness said...

Oh Darling I am gutted at the violation, my skin crawls reading of the horridness for you all. Please read and learn all you can about PTSD for Paula. I'm not being an alarmist! After my trauma last year I am learning every day what an insidious condition it is. It can lie dormant then surface in many ways when you least expect!
I send my love and prayers to you all. xo

Rambler said...

such a violation... anger is so appropriate...

as are swearwords... :)

allie said...

It is the pits - specially when it affects your children.

Kirsty said...

so sorry this happened to your friend, neighbour and daughter! It is such a violation to have some-one enter your own private property. I hope you start to fell more settled soon... and put up all the layers of security needed.
Thinking of you x

Andrea said...

Horrible Jill...I felt scared for a long time before we left South Africa and I know how your girls are feeling - so unfair that somebody can come into a home and take away your peace of mind.
xxx
A

lettice said...

I honestly think the worst part is, there is absolutely nothing you can do, to make things better.

Jeanne said...

Oh Gill - that's terrible!! I would be the moer in as well. Usually I'm in Rox's camp - any noise in the house and my imagination sees a horde of attackers lurking under the stairs. And the worst is that we think they were lucky because the guy "only" broke in and took stuff!!!

I must say though that living in London has largely cured that. Yes, we do have home invasions here, but not nearly on the scale of SA. When I'm home for a visit, I lie awake listening to every little noise and watching shadows outside ym window. It's not a great way to live. Really hope that your girls find their composure again soon.

angel said...

Oh I am so sorry... Thats truly dreadful.

Jenny in Durbs said...

Its awful & frustrating & dreadful. I hope you all work through this if thats possible. Our homes are where we "be".

Joanne said...

Well you know my feelings on this one, my daughter suffers with terrible anxiety, hope it goes away in the UK

Milk Kefir

Lately I've been been absent from my blog - but I've been having a lot of fun doing different things, things like making milk kefir!...