Saturday, November 28, 2009

Recipe for a perfect day

Today has been one of those blissful days that stands out from all the other grey, samey days around it.

* I woke up, bright and early this morning and waffled around the house doing my own thing. I absolutely love a day that begins with solitary me-time - even if that time is spent putting washing in the machine, feeding the pets and loading the dish-washer. The bottom line is I need that time alone with my thoughts at least once a week.

*The sun is shining, the sky is blue and the sea is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. A perfect Summer day on the South Coast of South Africa.

* I went to the shops (very briefly, fortunately) and happened upon a Terry's Orange Chocolate.

* Grant made us a couple of the most divine Pina Coladas. I'm loving this newly discovered talent of his and I have a strong feeling that this is going to be The Summer of The Cocktail. Oh yes, bring it on!

* For lunch we had a homemade prawn salad which was unbelievably delish.

* After lunch I retreated to my bed with a book and the Terry's Orange Chocolate. Bliss.

*Paula joined me on the bed and we painted our nails and talked about Robert Pattinson. A lot.

*Later on this evening we are going to the movies to see that gorgeous creature in action. I feel a bit like an over-excited teenager and I'm loving it. New Moon here we come. Team Edward all the way :-)

What a perfectly lovely day!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only downer of the day was that Paula discovered the Top Secret, Extra Special, Big Surprise, Christmas present I have bought her. The little wretch!

I am extremely good at keeping a straight face when I want to pull a stupid stunt. Take this morning for example: I totally convinced Paula that I had discovered that the much coveted New Moon movie tickets I bought on-line 2 weeks ago were actually for last night instead of tonight (this would be a crisis of note as the movie is sold out all weekend and all her friends have tickets for the show this evening, vitally important that she should be there!!). I kept a perfectly straight face, looked completely devastated and even swore a little to keep things authentic. The girl was beside herself, for the entire 30 seconds that I managed to keep up the act!

Then why, oh why, can I not keep a straight face when it really counts?! This afternoon Paula came bounding up to me and announced that she had just thought of something she really, really wants for Christmas: A "Team Edward" T-Shirt! I, in fact, hit on this bright idea last weekend already and bought her the very thing on Tuesday in an auction on e-bay. I have been secretly hugging myself with excitement all week and picturing her face when she opens it on Christmas morning. The surprise, the delight!! Well that was the plan. My stupid face totally let me down. I swallowed hard, looked vaguely in her direction and muttered "Yes, that would be a lovely Christmas present..." Then I gave her a hug, trying desperately to look nonchalant, but evidently looking completely dumb, because she took one look at me and said "You've already bought me one, haven't you?" I tried so hard to look her in the eye and deny it, but there was no way I could pull it off, so now she knows..... Damn, damn, double damn!!!

6 comments:

Redness said...

What a totally perfect day for you ... right down to being read like a book ... they're so clever, but we made them that way ... you've got me smiling here ;) Enjoy the rest of perfection!

Simone said...

hehehehe

Oh fun

Can I come over for Christmas?

Tamara said...

I do not get the whole Robert Pattinson thing. At all. But I'm glad you had a perfect day talking about him. I've discovered those ready-made cocktail sachets that you just chuck in the freezer, I think some are in order this evening... Froze margharitas. Yay!

natalian said...

Yum! Terry's Orange Chocolate! The good news is that even though Sunday was absolutely awful - a bit of Terry's and good book still goes down well... sigh! Will the sun ever shine again??? Hope you enjoyed New Moon!

Andrea said...

What a perfect day....good to recharge!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Camino Portuguese (Coastal Route)

We are planning another Camino walking holiday!  I couldn't be more excited.  The plan is that next year, in June, Grant, Paula and I wi...