Friday, July 29, 2011

While on the subject of insults...

Following on from my previous post....

Having spent much time last night pondering my Elderly Family Member and what gives her the right to throw insults around, I realised that in reality it's not only Elderly Famly Member that flings insults around, it's my family members in general!  The more I thought about it the more I realised that to survive in this family you have to have a skin as thick as an ancient rhinoceros!

I mean, remember this post!  You gotta love my daughters!

And it gets worse - I've never told you about this conversation I once had with Paula (she was 6 years old at the time)  I was watching her swim in a gala at school and a little girl came up to me, clutched onto my leg and said "Mrs Roberts..." and then, looking up, realised that I was not in fact Mrs Roberts and scurried off in a hurry.  (Mrs Roberts was Paula's Grade 1 teacher and the kids loved her to pieces.)  Anyway, later on I was telling Paula about what had happened, and mentioned that this was the second time that a child had mistaken me for Mrs Roberts.  Paula asked why on earth someone would think I was Mrs Roberts?  I replied that I supposed there was a vague similarity, especially if you approached us from behind - same height, same hair style and colour, same build...  Paula's response?  "Yes, but Mrs Roberts is MUCH prettier than you!"

So I was thinking about all these things last night and just then Rox, who is locuming at the local junior school, showed me a letter she got from one of the kids in her class:  It's a hand-drawn picture of a lady (I'm guessing it's Rox) and a little girl (no doubt the mite in question) and it says "Dear Miss R, I wish you were my mommy."

So it's not only my kids then!

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Haha... kids always think their teachers are perfect
(far smarter, prettier and generally more awesome than their parents). Until they get to a certain age. Then all adults are "lame".

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...