Monday, September 26, 2011

Chick-pea Curry

I have to confess that my slow-cooker has languished in the top of my kitchen cupboard for a couple of years - I just never got around to finding any recipes to use in it.  Then, Paula and I became "semi-vegetarian" and I went on the hunt for veggie recipes and came across this one - it took me a couple of years, but finally I hauled out the slow-cooker a couple of weeks back and tried it. I really liked this curry a lot and the beauty of it is that it's soooo easy!

Chickpea Curry Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tin chickpeas
  • 1 tin diced tomatoes
Directions:
  • Rinse and drain chickpeas thoroughly before using them
  • In a stainless steel or cast iron pan, sauté oil, onions, ginger, and garlic for 5 minutes add garam masala and other spices and cook for a minute or two longer
  • Place onion mixture and all other ingredients in a Crockpot
  • Add water if need to bring the liquid just to the top of the beans. Add more water during cooking if needed.
  • Cook on low for 6 hours.  (My slow-cooker only has High and Auto - I used Auto)

I served mine with basmati rice, but I think it would be really nice in roti, might try that next time.

1 comment:

Jenny in Durbs said...

Sounds really good, I will try it. I must admit to being a lazy cook so anything that can be done while I am working is always a bonus.

Milk Kefir

Lately I've been been absent from my blog - but I've been having a lot of fun doing different things, things like making milk kefir!...