Thursday, September 29, 2011

One Day = Epic Fail

Let's face it, the world we live in is chock-a-block full of violence, crime, insincerity, economic uncertainty, sexual perversion, murder, rape, sadness, illness, death, carnage on the roads..... the list goes on and on.  I get to live in an area that has all of the above, and more, in the worst possible way.  Makes for a rather stressful and somewhat depressing existence to be frank.

When I go to the movies I don't want to see more of the same.  That would be down-right stupid.  I go to the movies to escape from the violence, crime, rape, death.... blah, blah, blah.  I make a point of watching the trailers, I read the reviews and then I choose the movies that are going to make me laugh, or tickle my romantic side, or stir my ageing hormones.

So if you really want to piss me off, tempt me with a trailer that looks sweet and romantic and then present me with a movie that has me heading home ready to slit my wrists!  "One Day" did just that!  By the time I walked out of there I needed a visit to a funeral home to cheer me up. 

What a horrible movie.  And that was just the story line.  The wardrobe designer clearly got the wrong memo.  No darling, we did NOT dress like that in the late 80s, that was the 50s....different era.... by about 30 years or so.  Fail.  I love Anne Hathaway dearly, but she did NOT nail the British accent.  Not at all.  She seemed to be trying too hard, or over pronouncing, or... something, but whatever it was it did not work.  And then the casting.  Make the characters believable people, make it real for goodness' sake!  And the chemistry, or lack there-of.....

So if you're looking for a movie that is depressing on so very many levels - go and see One Day.  You'll be so sad that you did.

1 comment:

Jenny in Durbs said...

Thanks for the info - my time is too precious to waste. Have a great weekend.

I am busy ruminating on an updated bucket list - it's a lot more difficult than one would think!  The last time I created a bucket...