Sunday, November 20, 2011

A week to go....

Less than a week from today my Roxy-girl will be a married woman. How crazy is that thought?!

I have such mixed feelings.....

On the one hand I am so happy that she is happy, I'm so glad she has found a really decent guy, who clearly loves her to pieces, I am so excited for her and so proud of the lovely young woman she has become;

On the other hand I can't help but feel that I am losing my baby girl. I know, I know....she isn't a baby anymore.  But, as crazy as it may seem, in my mind I can still picture her so clearly as a shy, vulnerable little girl, that in some weird way, to me she will always be that little girl, all dressed in pink, dancing in the ballet concert to this song:




I wish I had realised then how quickly she would grow up, how very short a time she would be living at home, maybe then I would have cherished each moment a little more, hugged her more often, read her more stories, spent more time just being with her and loving her.

But time marches on, and she isn't that little girl anymore and much as I want to cling to her, it's time to let go......

And I'm ready to let go, well most of the time anyway! I'm ready to watch Rox develop into the wonderful woman and wife that I know she'll be. 

So instead of dwelling on the letting go part, I'm choosing to focus on the excitement, the pride, the fun, the positive energy...and when it all gets a bit much, I'll come and sit quietly by myself and play that song and think about the little girl who's grown up into the amazingly beautiful bride that will walk down the aisle, past her mommy who loves her so much xx

2 comments:

Jenny in Durbs said...

Oh wow Gill I think thats a beautiful post & it must be a fabulous step into the future & scarey too. Hope the wedding is woderful & you all cherish the memories.

Leanne said...

I'm in tears reading your post Gill. I so remember having similar feelings when Roz got married. A piece of "us" was changing and now I had to share her (in the nicest possible way).

And now that I've had kids, I know that that feeling would be all the more bitter sweet when it's your child. Thinking of you - well done for voicing what many don't admit to :)

Milk Kefir

Lately I've been been absent from my blog - but I've been having a lot of fun doing different things, things like making milk kefir!...