Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011...... the year that was

I thought I would chronicle the stand-out events of 2011, not the hum-drum (and trust me, there was plenty of that!), but those things that defined the year for me.

January:   
  
At the very beginning of January we decided to start Geocaching, it was one of the best decisions we have ever made as a family.  We have had SO much fun geocaching this year! 

Grant took me away for the week-end of my birthday and our anniversary.  It was the very first time in 22 years of marriage that we had ever been away on our own (can't believe it myself, but it's true!)  We had such a special time and have decided to make it an annual event.

Our family also spent a week-end in Umdloti in January


and made our first visit to the Moses Mabhida stadium in Durban. 


Paula and I began a "Travelling Bear" project.  We found some wonderful, willing participants, scattered all over the world, bought a little bear whom we named Thulani,


started a blog for him (Thulani the Travelling Bear) and on the 22nd of January Thulani set off on his travels.

February: 

In mid-February my precious Jackie-dog got really sick with a mystery illness, which gradually paralysed her, starting with one back leg, progressing to the point where she could not use ANY of her limbs.  It was a terrible, terrible time and only then did I realise how very deeply attached I am to this little member of our family, who goes with me everywhere.  Her illness turned out to be meningitis and she has thankfully almost fully recovered from it (she has never got her jump back and I somehow doubt she ever will)


Thanks to Rox's willingness to babysit my then-recovering little dog, we were able to take Paula and her friend Michelle and spend a much-needed night at the Hilton in Durban, where we enjoyed a Sharks rugby game:




March:    

We spent 5 days at Sun City at the end of March with the Clarks.  We had such a wonderful time.  Over the years we have spent a lot of time at Sun City with the Clarks and it's sad to know that those holidays have come to an end with the end of our timeshare's term.



Something we did at Sun City this time that we have never done before is visit the elephants at a nearby elephant sanctury.  It was a magical experience!




April   

On our way back from Sun City we attended Uncle Ian’s 80th  birthday party.  I was so glad we could be there and share this special day with him.



We were lucky enough to go and see Neil Diamond at Moses Mabhida stadium in Durban. on the 5th of April.  What a wonderful evening!




Paula attended a hockey tournament at Treverton College near Mooiriver over the Easter week-end, where she met and fell (literally! Long story) in love with Calvin!


And a few days later Rox and Jon got engaged!


       
May:   

After all the excitement of April, May was a fairly quiet month, however we did welcome a new member to our extended family in the form of Allie (a.k.a my "co-worker" because she spends most of her time bugging me when I should be working in my office)




June:   

My Paula-girl turned 16!!  The event was rather over-shadowed by the fact that we were shortly to be leaving for Europe.

We spent 4 amazing weeks in Europe in June/July.  I continued my love affairs with both London and Paris and began a whole new love affair with Spain.  What a fantastic time we had - I documented the holiday in a blog, which I return to again and again to re-live the experience.



            
July:     

In July we visited Ireland for the first time.  It was so amazing to see the place that has such strong roots for both Grant and the girls.  Unforgettable memories.



I also got to see my BFF Lisa in July!


Before heading home we had a stopover in Dubai, which was fantastic




August:   
Not surprisingly, August was a fairly quiet month for our family!  We spent time catching up after our month away, giving our poor neglected pets lots of love and attention and getting back into the grind of daily life.  We did however make time to re-connect with our friends (I recall a very fun evening with the Reeds and some caramel vodka and Turkish Tigers!) and our family and to enjoy watching lots of rugby on TV


September:   

September was all about the Rugby World Cup!  We watched LOTS of rugby on TV with the Clarks, which is always fun :-)

We also spent a week-end in Empangeni with the Reeds and Grant and Paula did a cycle with Glynton and Calvin

On 11 September Grant, Paula and I went to Durban Day - it was a lovely day out.




October:    
October was a rather frantic month with exams looming for Rox and Paula and wedding preparations in full swing.

Notably, it was also the month that Grant fell off his mountain bike and gave us quite a scare!



The girls both took part in the Rollers and Pins skit at the Rotary/Roundtable Melodrama 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience





November:   

November was all about exams and The Wedding - what a hectic month!

Paula, Helen and Waldi organised a lovely Kitchen Tea for Rox and a really fun Hen's Night



ahem, if we could overlook the fact that Rox is wearing penises on her head that would be good, okay!



 And then there was The Wedding!  What a wonderful, wonderful day it was.  Perfect in every way.  As soon as the photos are available I will put some up here.

December:
And just like that the year was over!

Saying Good-bye to Ralph, Shell and Josh as they left for Australia had to be the low point of the entire year for me.  Ralph and I have been friends since we were 13 years old, he is way more than just another friend to me...  Our families have bonds that go beyond friendship, beyond family even.  They're the people we chose to be our family.  I never want to have to relive the day we said good-bye ever again.  And there I go with the snot and trane again, so best I just leave it at that.


So, quite an emotional month!  We're learning to live with the gap that Rox has left in our home, but loving the times we get to spend with her and Jon.  Learning to live without Ralph, Shell and Josh being just down the drag in Durban, but knowing that our friendship will always be a part of who we are. 

And before we knew it, it was Christmas time.  We hosted our traditional Christmas Eve dinner at home for the family (including Roxy and Jon) and then had Christmas Day lunch at Stephward Estate in Uvongo, as we did last year.  It's become a tradition to get together with the Clarks on Christmas night and we did that again this year which was a lovely way to end the day.


All in all it's been a good year for the Richardson's, quite a big year, challenging in many respects, but overall a positive year in our family I think.

Looking forward to seeing what 2012 has in store!

2 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

Looks like you had quite a year!

Jenny in Durbs said...

What a great way to sum up your year, looks like it was full of great stuff & hope your 2012 is wonderful for you all.

I am busy ruminating on an updated bucket list - it's a lot more difficult than one would think!  The last time I created a bucket...