Monday, February 20, 2012

I've fallen in love with a future guide-dog!

As you are probably aware, I am crazy about all things dog, and I have to confess that I have fallen deeply in love with yet another dog.  I have always had a soft spot for guide-dogs, since reading "Emma and I" donkey's years ago.  Now one of my favourite bloggers, Angel of Angel's Mind is raising a puppy for the SA Guide-dog Association, and boy-oh-boy has Volt captured my heart!  I have been following his story since his arrival in Angel's and Glugster's home and I have to say it's been fascinating.  I think what they are doing is remarkable.

There is SO much more to raising a puppy to be trained as a guide-dog than I ever imagined!  For instance, guide-dog puppies are not trained with food rewards, but instead with positive reinforcement; Volt can't play with tennis balls or frisbees; he has to be trained not to sniff and can only do so when he's going "to the toilet", and while on that subject, he has to be taught to wee and poop on demand, he must sleep in a special crate ... the list goes on and on.

I strongly recommend a visit to Angel's Furbabies where you can follow Volt's journey to becoming a fully-grown guide-dog.  If you want to read all about it from the very beginning scroll down to the bottom of the page and keep clicking on "older posts" until you get to Volt's arrival on 21 December 2011.

And here's a picture of the little guy that I swiped off the website, hope Angel won't mind!

3 comments:

Angel said...

Score one for Volt!
:P
I am so glad you are enjoying the blog posts! We will have to make a plan for you to meet him in "person"!

Teena in Toronto said...

Way too cute!

Kirsty said...

oh man - so gorgeous!
We have a labrador... Labs are my fave dogs. And I have a great respect for the guide dogs, but i odnt think I could train one. The urge to spoil and play with him/her would be too great x

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...