Wednesday, February 15, 2012

So I'm White, what does that MEAN?

My faults and personality quirks are many and varied.  I am quite happy to admit that I am often obnoxious, frequently bitchy, permanently moody, I swear a lot, I enjoy a tasty tid-bit of scandal..... the list goes on and on.  I don't deny any of it.  But what I am NOT is racist.  That is one label that you can't stick on me.  So it really irks me when someone assumes, based solely on the fact that I happen to be South African and I was born with a lily-white skin, that I am racist. 

It has happened twice in the last month that people I have just met and have begun chatting to, have suddenly alluded to the fact that they don't particularly like black people and assumed that I feel the same way.  You want to see my hackles rise?  Do that to me!  Weirdly enough, both these people were "people of colour". 

Seriously, do people in general assume that ALL white South Africans are racist?  Surely not!  Surely you can't jump to that kind of assumption before you know a person.

One of my children is a black man.  It breaks my heart to think that there are people out there who automatically dislike Impi because he was born with a gorgeous chocolate coloured skin.  The nicest person I have ever have the privilege of knowing and who I am proud to call my very best friend, happens to be a black domestic worker.  How completely and utterly daft to like or dislike people based on the colour of their skin.  I really, truly and honestly don't get it.  It's like saying I don't like people with brown eyes.  For goodness' sake, how infantile!

Yes, there are black people I despise, there are also white people I loathe and as for the Afrikaans people who live on the corner of our street.... I despise, loathe AND detest them.  This has stuff all to do with the colour of their skin and a lot to do with their pond-scum-like personalities. 

To my way of thinking, you need to spend a bit of time getting to know someone before you decide to dislike them and you need to spend more than 5 minutes with a person before labelling them a racist!

Rant over.  Climbing off my soap-box now!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Hi i’m Heather! I have a question for you! Please email me :)
HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

Angel said...

I'm with you on this one. There are far too many people who assume its okay to use a certain type of slang simply based on your skin colour.

Teena in Toronto said...

I hate being in work situations like client meetings where I get the sense that someone is a racist. I can't say anything because it's a client so I just keep my mouth shut and change the subject when I can.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Dealing with grief

I just read this amazing blog post by a mom who recently lost her baby. She gives real, practical examples of what to do/say to someone wh...