Sunday, December 07, 2014

December Reflections Day 7 - The best book of 2014

Okay, let's be clear here - I read for relaxation, the books I read are not intended to educate me, stretch me, move me out of my comfort zone or in any way cause me stress!

Living in a country with an exceedingly high rate of violent crime and life-threatening disease, means that there is enough stress and bad news around me in my everyday life, I certainly don't need to go shopping for more of the same when I pick up a book to read!

I love to read.  Since the day I discovered that the written page had actual meaning I have been a confirmed book worm.  Reading is my escape, my not-so-secret pleasure, my treat to myself after a busy day. 

Weirdly, having looked at my goodreads page, I see that I have read about 50% fewer books this year compared to last year. I think that may have something to do with the arrival of a certain little grand-baby!

All the usual suspects continue to be in my reading list:  Debbie Macomber, Susan Wiggs, Fiona Valpy, JoAnn Ross, Robyn Carr....  I honestly can't pick one favourite book, so I will name a few books that stood out for me this year.

Jojo Moyes' "Me Before You" and John Green's "The Fault in our Stars" were both hauntingly beautiful books that touched me deeply.

 

 "The Mistress of Spices" by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni was a very different book, a complete departure from my usual genre and I enjoyed it for that very reason.
 
 
 
I re-read "Gardens of Delight" by Erica James while we were in Bellagio.  It was such fun and so special to read the book in the town in which it was set.  A lovely experience.
 

"The Postmaster's Mistress" by Ruth Fifield is a book written by my former high school English teacher.  It was most enjoyable to read a book by someone I know, with parts of it set in a town I am familiar with.  This was another book that was very different to my usual reading matter and I learnt a great deal about the second world war while reading it, so I enjoyed the experience a great deal.

 


I am loving Susan Wiggs' latest series, the "Bella Vista Chronicles".  I've read both "The Apple Orchard" and "The Beekeeper's Ball" and enjoyed them both.  Looking forward to more in the series.



At the moment I am on a Christmas season reading spree, my favourite so far is Fiona Valpy's "The French for Christmas".  I am a big fan of Fiona Valpy's books. 


 

No comments:

Dealing with grief

I just read this amazing blog post by a mom who recently lost her baby. She gives real, practical examples of what to do/say to someone wh...