Friday, February 13, 2015

My thoughts on 50 Shades of Grey

Funny how a slightly "off-centre" movie, based on a slightly "off-centre" book, comes out and all of a sudden everyone has an opinion - particularly those who haven't watched the movie or read the book.  I find it all quite interesting and frankly rather annoying.

The way I see it, if you don't like it, don't watch it.  No-one's forcing you.  And if you haven't watched it, then for goodness' sake, don't publish your opinion about it all over the place and get upset with those who do want to watch it. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the books and the movie too.  I found them relaxing, absorbing and fun.  I especially loved the interesting psychological twists and turns, particularly in the books - I look forward to seeing how those play out in the movie sequel.  I love the underlying story of redemption, of love healing pain.  The sound-track was awesome and I thought the sex scenes were .... well...sexy.  And let's be honest, neither of the leads in the movie was particularly hard on the eyes!  

As an adult, I believe I am free to enjoy whatever movie I like.  I fail to understand why some people are so judgemental of other people's preferences.  Why can't we simply respect the views and choices of others without judging them? 

A lot of people seem to be getting their knickers in a knot about the type of sex depicted in the movie.  My view is, if two consenting adults want to enjoy some kinky sex, well then where is the problem?  Let them get on with it.  If it's not the kind of sex that you would enjoy, well then don't have that kind of sex...don't look at it, don't brood on it.  Problem solved.  And as for the violence, well frankly I have seen more violence in a LOT of movies my husband likes to watch and that wasn't consensual...

I just don't understand why we can't live and let live, why we have to attack everyone who believes differently to us.  And I totally fail to understand why people are getting more worked up about this than, for example, about the 200 school-girls that were kidnapped in Nigeria.  It baffles me.

Let's freak out about the important stuff people, and leave the movie-goers in peace.

1 comment:

Kerry Smith said...

Be still my beating heart!! I have seen it twice, I love it!! Jamie Dornan is so outrageously beautiful, honestly it ought to be a crime!!

My favourite cold remedy

I've been knocked flat by a cold this week.  Sore throat, sniffles, stuffy head, temp..... feeling very sorry for myself!  In fact, it&#...