Friday, April 17, 2015

April Love: A life-changing book

I struggled with this prompt because there are many books that I love so much, but that doesn't make them life-changing.  There aren't many books I have read that I can honestly say have changed my life.  In fact, there are probably only two:  The Bible and Codependent No More.

I read The Bible for the first time in 2005.  I mean, I had read bits and pieces of it before then, but in 2005 I decided to actually read it from cover to cover.  And I did.  No mean feat, I might add!  The Bible has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, at times more so than others.  It has been life-changing in that it is a guideline for how I believe I should conduct my life (not saying that I do though!)  I consider myself a Believer, but I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a Christian.  I believe that Jesus died for my sins, but I certainly don't believe in a LOT of what goes on in church.  In fact I made a decision to stop going to church altogether about 10 years ago and haven't been back since. 

The other book that has been a life-changer for me is Codependent No More by Melody Beattie.


After going through an immensely tough time a couple of years ago I began to search for some answers and more and more I began identifying with what I was reading about Codependency.  After seeing Codependent No More mentioned repeatedly, I read the book and it hit the nail on the head for me, I had a "lightbulb moment" on pretty much every page.  I then spent some time with a clinical psychologist and she confirmed what I already knew, I'm codependent.  This book gave me permission to break free from some really destructive coping mechanisms.  It gave me the confidence to start making some profound changes in my life.  I'm still very much a work-in-progress, but I have made some meaningful changes and I couldn't have done it without Codependent No More.

This post is part of  the April Love series, the brain-child of Susannah Conway.  In Susannah's words:
The theme of the challenge, as you’ve probably guessed, is LOVE — love for ourselves, our lives, the world around us. LOVE expressed in gratitude and kindness. February might have Valentine but we’ve got April LOVE :)If you'd like to get in on the action, you can sign up here.

1 comment:

Janet Miles said...

Stopping by to say Hi from the April Love group. I'm having fun finding out about everyones favorite books. My to-read list is getting longer! Happy April

I am busy ruminating on an updated bucket list - it's a lot more difficult than one would think!  The last time I created a bucket...