*Our Christmas tree goes up each year at the beginning of December. Having said that, this year we decided to celebrate Thanksgiving (even though we have no connection to the USA whatsoever! 😊) and we put our tree up on that day - this worked really well for us and I think it could become a new tradition. Whenever we travel I make a point of buying Christmas decorations in the places we visit - I love the memories that those decorations bring back as we decorate our tree.
*In mid-December, the girls in the family invite a couple of friends over and we spend a happy morning icing Christmas cookies.
* We visit at least one Christmas Market. This year it was the Shongweni Market.
|Issy enjoying the play area at the Shongweni Christmas Market|
* We always go to the Carols by Candlelight at our local SPCA.
* Between the 16th and 20th of December we bake our Christmas Cake.
* We take a drive and look at houses decorated with Christmas lights on about the 15th of December (these are few and far between in our country, but the ones that do decorate do a fabulous job of it)
* On Christmas Eve, the off-spring still living at home (that would be Paula!) open their "Christmas Eve present" of pyjamas.
* We read "Twas the night before Christmas" before we head to bed.
* On Christmas morning we get up early and enjoy a cup of tea/coffee with a Christmas Mince Pie as we open presents, with carols playing in the background.
* Our Christmas meal is usually a cold meal as it's generally extremely hot at Christmas time. We have gammon, chicken and chipolata sausages with a selection of salads and a cold Christmas dessert.
December Reflections with Susannah Conway